Dumb door hinge idea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowstart

Reaction score
Its well know how short lived the door hinge setup is on our trucks or others with similar set up. But this is not universally true. We (as in humans) figured out door hinges hundreds of years ago. I have been in several houses with exterior doors that had to have weighed close to 100 lbs and been about that many years old with absolute zero sag. (So i know if the engineers wanted, they could make doors not sag) Anyway, my thought was, what if I modifide the door and made an adapter so you could just use a regular house door hinge in place of the ones in there? As long as the "pin" was in the exact same spot, it would open and close the same. Has anyone heard of such a thing? My thinking would be to make it so you could bolt on the house door hinges so it would be easy to take them off and replace them if you ever needed (and i would use slotted holes so there would be some adjustability built into the design if desired). What do you guys think? The dumbest thing ever, or has something like it already been done (google turned up nothing) or maybe there is some complications im not thinking of. Thoughts?

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Typically you will be talking about a truck door that is heavier than a house/room door. With the weight of the door, glass, motor and the entire apparatus that makes it all work and that is in a smaller more compact size and is also thicker. It will have two hinges with detents built in for half open and fully open. The house/room door hinges typically handle a lighter door that the weight is distributed in a taller frame that is thinner and there are three of them with no detent design. All things considered, your idea does not compute.

The automotive hinges have a better chance of longevity if used correctly and not abused. Examples: hanging on the open door, throwing doors open to end of travel with force and the hinges have to catch all that, slamming the door and lack of periodic lubrication. The worst example of abuse is an impact/collision when closed or open. Plus, is way easier to replace the hinge pins and bushings when the play is first noticed and not ignored till later when way more damage is done.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Typically you will be talking about a truck door that is heavier than a house/room door. With the weight of the door, glass, motor and the entire apparatus that makes it all work and that is in a smaller more compact size and is also thicker. It will have two hinges with detents built in for half open and fully open. The house/room door hinges typically handle a lighter door that the weight is distributed in a taller frame that is thinner and there are three of them with no detent design. All things considered, your idea does not compute.

The automotive hinges have a better chance of longevity if used correctly and not abused. Examples: hanging on the open door, throwing doors open to end of travel with force and the hinges have to catch all that, slamming the door and lack of periodic lubrication. The worst example of abuse is an impact/collision when closed or open. Plus, is way easier to replace the hinge pins and bushings when the play is first noticed and not ignored till later when way more damage is done.
a big one is the door being used by people to get in and out.. as much as I understand how people need help in and out.. the door is the worst thing to use because of that. I just kinda leap in my silverado but it does have a deezee bar on it. without that, i would probably repair the rocker to use that. if not that, I would probably be considering another handle option

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you ever heard of the concept " why reinvent the wheel? ".
Based on the " average Joe buyer " of a GM pickup, what do you propose the engineers were thinking on the lifespan of the pickup he purchased. Idea inputs must include durability, relative economy, cargo capacity, and others. You can upscale any factors, but the cost is proportional to same up scale. You must draw a line at cost versus infinite lifespan. And yes many have complained on door problems. 1 are they original owners, or inherited or purchased an abused pickup. 2 how many pickups have been sold versus how many actual door defect problems reported.
If total sales are 1.5 million and 50, 000 have reported problems. That's 3.25 % . That's not bad. Your chances of getting into a vehicle crash driving across town are almost ten times worse.
And door hinges do wear out, even my 89 year old house. Built in 1934.
If you can make the GM engineers cry in their Cheerios , please lead the way. :waytogo:

slowstart

Reaction score
Its like the old saying “Any idiot can build a bridge that stands, but it takes an engineer to build a bridge that barely stands.” We all know why they don't make better doors ($$$) and as pointed out, the doors do there job perfectly well for the first owner (the only one automakers care about). But as someone who will never be able to afford a car less than 20 years old, you have to get creative.

Last edited:

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
We all know why they don't make better doors ($$$) and as pointed out, the doors do there job perfectly well for the first owner (the only one automakers care about). But as someone who will never be able to afford a car less than 20 years old, you have to get creative.
As a retired ASE Master Tech and ASE Service Consultant, after 40+ years in the shops and still working on vehicles on the side, I have a decent retirement and savings and social security and hope to be just fine and have a nice home with my girl who has it even better. Neither of us ever want a NEW vehicle. IMO, they are not built as well. I love my 2005 NBS GMT800 Tahoe Z71 that literally "runs perfectly". Her 1990 K2500 also runs great as does her 2002 Trailblazer. Not being able to afford a new vehicle is not a curse. Buy the right one, put some money in it and insure properly and you are money ahead, every time. On top of that, DO NOT BUY AN EXTENDED WARRANTY. They are rip offs. I had to deal with them in the shops. Save money back every week/month in a fund for the vehicles and you again, will be money ahead.