New to me 2000 C3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been lurking around for a few days as I got what I believe was a smoking deal on a family friends used truck. They used it to tow an 18' trailer and also a couple of seadoos. I had been looking for a truck to tow my boat around and use it for odd jobs rather than beating in the other cars and new 4runner.

The previous owner already told me about the issues, but I factored them into the STEEP ~$1000 asking price. The truck has 125000 miles.

What was wrong with it:
1) DIRTY! He worked at an oil rig for a while and I need to clean up the interior really bad.
2) No Ac/Heater working.
3) Can't make a hard right turn.
4) Front suspension/steering needs replacement.
5) Drivers door sidewinder step does not work; stuck in the down position.
6) Needed a tune up, valve cover gasket, and new battery.
7) Misfire in cylinder 8.
8) Will need tires in about a year.

The good things:
1) Has a lift - I have no idea what???
2) Completed tune up and engine runs great and shifts awesome( has an unknown shift kit in it)
3) Gibson Exhaust
4) K&N intake
5) intake manifolds are not leaking (yet)
6) Some sort of brake booster that I don't understand what it is...

Here is a picture. I know it's crappy (I'll update with a better one later)
You must be registered for see images attach

I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions along the way (already found great information on this site!).

For the immediate, I do have a few that I'm hoping the experienced people can help out on.

1) I replaced the a/c control module and that brought back the A/C and heat. It worked for a few days but then burned up? I'm now replacing the a/c blower as it did sound like the bearings were bad. I'm not sure if this will help with the overload issue for the a/c control module, but I am wondering, until I find the issue, it there a way I can add an in-line fuse so the fuse blows rather than the new a/c control module blows up again? If so, which wire would I attach it to?

2) I am going to replace the steering and some of the suspension as theyare visibly worn. The pitman arm, and tie-rods are in bad shape. I would like to just replace ALL of the steering and suspension on the front of the truck. I cannot seem to find a complete set anywhere? Also, I will be towing a boat and possibly a trailer, so I'd like to beef up the components, per se. Where should I look? I am a newbie with Chevy's and lifted trucks so I have no idea! I don' even know what lift I have! I only see "Reflex 91104" on one of the shocks but was unable to find the information on it. I'd like to keep the look of the truck as is but beef it up. Also, what is an average cost for labor on these components? I'm in CA.

Anything else I should check out for the truck? I'll replace all fluids and the such (already switched her over to full synthetic) as the previous owner knew nothing about maintenance!

Looking forward to this site and learning.

Thanks,

John

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Your best bet for suspension components would probably be at rock auto. Youll have to peice it together one part at a time because im pretty sure the only place to get a complete "Kit" is ebay and its probably not good quality parts. The reason your master cylinder looks funny is because its probably a hydroboost system. And as long as it has a transmission cooler i wouldnt worry about beefing it up to tow. Nice truck though and welcome! Hope to see more pictures of this beast.

John B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your best bet for suspension components would probably be at rock auto. Youll have to peice it together one part at a time because im pretty sure the only place to get a complete "Kit" is ebay and its probably not good quality parts. The reason your master cylinder looks funny is because its probably a hydroboost system. And as long as it has a transmission cooler i wouldnt worry about beefing it up to tow. Nice truck though and welcome! Hope to see more pictures of this beast.

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. Yes, it has a transmission cooler. Guess I'll do more homework for all the steering and suspension parts for the front end. I'll most likely get new shocks later on as the ones on the truck are about 10 years old.

Forgot to mention that this is the 454 Long bed.

What I've done so far:

1) Switched over to Mobile 1 5w-30 full synthetic
2) New Spark Plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor
3) New valve cover gaskets.
4) New 800CCA battery - starts right up!
5) New A/C control module
6) New A/C blower - Feels like this is blowing harder and not as noisy - Hope it solves the burned control module issue
7) Removed the chrome wheel fenders

What's Currently On the Way -
1) Curt Front Mount Hitch - I've got a tight uphill driveway for the boat.

What will be On the way over the next three months
1) New steering and suspension - Highest priority
2) ALL FLUID changes
3) New A/T tires (315/75R16)
4) New Fuel injectors and regulator - It does sometimes take a while on warm cranks
5) New Carpet if I can't clean this crap!
6) Stereo and backup camera
7) Bedliner
8) All other crap that needs fixing or I impulsively buy.

This will be a work/utility/tow truck. Did replace the a/c motor tonight. Unfortunately, the small repairs need to be complete in the dark after my son goes to sleep!

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. Yes, it has a transmission cooler. Guess I'll do more homework for all the steering and suspension parts for the front end. I'll most likely get new shocks later on as the ones on the truck are about 10 years old.

Forgot to mention that this is the 454 Long bed.

What I've done so far:

1) Switched over to Mobile 1 5w-30 full synthetic
2) New Spark Plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor
3) New valve cover gaskets.
4) New 800CCA battery - starts right up!
5) New A/C control module
6) New A/C blower - Feels like this is blowing harder and not as noisy - Hope it solves the burned control module issue
7) Removed the chrome wheel fenders

What's Currently On the Way -
1) Curt Front Mount Hitch - I've got a tight uphill driveway for the boat.

What will be On the way over the next three months
1) New steering and suspension - Highest priority
2) ALL FLUID changes
3) New A/T tires (315/75R16)
4) New Fuel injectors and regulator - It does sometimes take a while on warm cranks
5) New Carpet if I can't clean this crap!
6) Stereo and backup camera
7) Bedliner
8) All other crap that needs fixing or I impulsively buy.

This will be a work/utility/tow truck. Did replace the a/c motor tonight. Unfortunately, the small repairs need to be complete in the dark after my son goes to sleep!
Idk if you have a steam cleaner or not but the bissel deep clean solution works great on the seats and carpet. I couldnt belive how dirty my seats were until i steam cleaned it. Also these trucks seem to be picky with injectors from what i hear. Theres a guy called 88gmctruck that has been through 3 or 4 sets. He knows what works and what doesn't.

John B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
bissel deep clean solution

We were actually looking at a home carpet cleaner so I'll check that out. It'll be a win-win for both the wife and I.

On a side note, now after the tune up and new oil, getting a random P0300 code. Didn't have this the first week when I had the truck before the changes. It's almost not noticeable, just a little bogging hesitation. I'll need to go down the rabbit hole and figure out what is causing it. Too bad this is right before I needed to get a dang smog inspection in good ole' California!

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
We were actually looking at a home carpet cleaner so I'll check that out. It'll be a win-win for both the wife and I.

On a side note, now after the tune up and new oil, getting a random P0300 code. Didn't have this the first week when I had the truck before the changes. It's almost not noticeable, just a little bogging hesitation. I'll need to go down the rabbit hole and figure out what is causing it. Too bad this is right before I needed to get a dang smog inspection in good ole' California!
i have the bissel lift-off steam cleaner and i love it. Its perfect for steam cleaning vehicles because when you do the lift off, its about the size of a bagpack. Id get the codes read and see if any other codes are getting or have been set off.

John B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright, I was getting more misfire codes and a bank 2 catalyst performing below level so I knew I needed to start with the basic stuff! New re-manufactured injectors and fuel regulator.

Replaced 3 out of the 4 O2 sensors as I knew the nasty crap that was shooting out the tailpipe had to have reeked havoc on the sensors. Most of the faulty sensors were on cylinders 8,6,4 so I replaced the post cat 02 sensor on bank 2 as well. Not sure if I should replace the last bank 1 post cat sensor. Any opinions?

Also, I was told to stick with A/C delco for the O2 sensors but I couldn't find them for the pre-cat sensors so I bought the Bosch sensors. Reading some of the forums, people have said to stay away from the Bosch sensors, but it was night and day between the China made A/C Delco and the USA Bosch sensors. The quality seemed WAY better with the Bosch. The pigtail wires were larger, well insulated and actually came with a protective cap. The AC Delco one had a bunch of anti-seize all over the sensor that I needed to wipe off. Guess we'll see how long they will last.

Truck runs WAY better. No more hesitation, no gas smell, so far no misfire codes, and ALWAYS starts right up.

I will need to address my short or other issue with the A/C control module burning up (I'll start a new thread to see if anyone has any insight) and definitely need to swap out almost all of the front end suspension.

I have one issue showing up on the Torque app that will probably need to be addressed as well but have no idea what it is. Anyone have any idea what the hell this failure means? I'll need to take a smog test and I'm sure this will not be good. I'll also start a thread on this as well. It has climbed as high as 65,00 but don't know if this is a catalyst issue or not.