New to me 2000 C3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How difficult were the headers to install? How long did they take you?

Luckily the headers and exhaust were already on there when I bought the truck up from the family friend. As you know, the clearance is pretty slim especially around the steering shaft. So it will take same time. To get it done quickly, it'd be easier with two people. It is just bolts, but damn clearance!

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How difficult were the headers to install? How long did they take you?

The set of headers that I put in didn't take too long. Really its all the other bullshit that takes time. Getting the old manifolds out, making sure plug wire boots don't contact the headers, and then hooking up the rest of the exhaust.

Maybe it was just because mine was bastardized, but I found it much easier to put in all new exhaust rather than trying to adapt the new part to the existing parts.

John B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
making sure plug wire boots don't contact the headers

Yep, this is a big thing to watch out for! I put on these woven fiberglass boot and wire protectors as the wires are a little closer in proximity than I'd like. I noticed a couple wires were already getting heat burned when I removed an old set out.

You must be registered for see images attach

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, this is a big thing to watch out for! I put on these woven fiberglass boot and wire protectors as the wires are a little closer in proximity than I'd like. I noticed a couple wires were already getting heat burned when I removed an old set out.

I might have to get a couple of those. Most of my boots are ceramic, but two plugs were too close to the header tube for the ceramic boot so I just had to be very meticulous about how I tied them up. Looks like these would add some nice protection.

John B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I might have to get a couple of those. Most of my boots are ceramic, but two plugs were too close to the header tube for the ceramic boot so I just had to be very meticulous about how I tied them up. Looks like these would add some nice protection.

Yeah, they are about $15 for a set of 8 on amazon. I got the 8" long size and used a little dialectric grease to get them on a little easier. They were a tight fit but completely protect the boot and wire, so I'm happy.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As a bonus, I was able to get a new power steering pump and reservoir from Chevrolet installed as there was a known recall on the part. Now I have not seen any leaks from the power steering or brake system.

How'd you go about getting this done? My PS Pump leaks more oil than my rear main...

John B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Been a while since I posted! I've been busy with going back to school to get another degree and my kid is occupying my time!

I was able to fix the front two Kodiak Sidewinder steps. They had a busted motor. Found a comparable motor on amazon that just took a little I made sure that they were greased real well. The old grease was gunked up pretty well. These definitely need servicing.....

The replacement motor was a little larger than the original one. I just removed a backing plate and bolted it in. Fit well.

Everything was dandy and wonderful for about a week until I stepped in one night and scraped my leg! The damn step broke in half!!

The guy I bought this from weighs about 250lbs. I'm assuming that had something to do with it.

So now I'm on the hunt for a new one! If i didn't just replace the motor's, I would just buy cheap steps but I do like these tuck out of the way. I'll post a wanted ad for just a step...working or not! Really just need the step part of it.

I just passed CA smog again, so as a prize I am going to buy some Falken Wildpeak at3w 315 75 R16 tires! I'll post pics once they are on.