2000 Heavy 3/4 Ton Student Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LionPride

Reaction score
These are my initial reactions off the top of my head:

1) Assess how your unique situation alters what project strengths &
weaknesses you have to work with. On the one hand, money is tight.
On the other hand, you have a large pool of 'affordable' labor. So all
things being equal, a more labor-intensive approach should get the nod
as opposed to trying to buy/fundraise your way out of a problem.

2) From your description, the goal of this truck is a stepping-stone to help
fund the next training vehicle. From my perspective as a hypothetical buyer,
a refreshed *stock* truck is more valuable to me than a modified truck, even
if the modifications are supposedly using a 'newer/better' LS engine and
associated ECU. (VCM)

Why? An unmodified truck = I'm relying upon what the factory design/mfg
engineers came up with. On the other hand, on a modified truck I'm now
relying upon an additional layer of 'engineering' by whoever did the work?

Were they working at a level where they first fully evaluated what the original
engineers did within their budget, and then reasoned their way through
to a successful upgrade? Or just they just throw a hodgepodge of parts at
it?

Don't get me wrong, for I'm not casting aspersions at anyone in this conversation.
Instead, I'm just being candid about how I view *any* vehicle when I'm
evaluating it for purchase.

Given the above, if the engine really is seized, then pull it and perform a careful
mechanical post-mortem on what you uncover. What a great learning opportunity!

* Lots and lots of photos. Both 'undisturbed Big Picture' whole engine bay shots for future
hints during reassembly, as well as detail photos of the more intricate stuff like how the
distributor was clocked in the 'as found' condition.

Organize those photos into a searchable database for future student reference.
(Or just post them sequentially 'into the cloud' here into your 'rebuild thread'. :0)

* Teach them how to tear down & rebuild that truck without losing a single washer,
fastener, or small part that's seemingly insignificant, but is no longer in production,
is now made of unobtanium, and the replacement cost is measured in number of
hours scouring the Treasure Yards and/or the internet to recover from the lost part.

(Suggestion: Sandwich, Quart, & Gallon bags, Sharpie marker what it is + quantity
of items on the outside, followed by clear tape over the Sharpie writing. Lasts as
long as the aerospace 'bag & tag' method, with the advantage of being able to see
what's inside. (See attached.)

Bonus points for giving each bag a sequential, unique ID number,
so that IF a bag comes up missing you will know it. (And the sequential thing is
helpful, for the air cleaner wingnut should be in Bag #1, whereas the rear main
seal mount & associated hardware should be found in roughly the 100+ bag
neighborhood.) And ALL these bags must reside in a dedicated shelving setup.
How about Bag #1 all the way on the left, and bag #256 is all the way on the right?

I know that this may sound like overkill, but the strength of having so much semi-skilled
labor is also your weakness. Somebody in the 2nd period class gets interrupted, the
small bits get put down in some illogical spot, and by the 5th period those parts are
well on their way to being lost forever, despite well-intentioned efforts to the contrary.

I could go on & on, but let's stop here and summarize. If the engine is seized, pull it,
make careful observations at *each* step. Do things that a commercial shop can't do
because of time constraints. For example, there are 17 bolts attaching each cylinder head.

IF you take the time to measure the amount of torque it takes to remove each one, you may
uncover a valuable clue as to why the head gasket failure occured. (Remember, this truck
came off the assembly line 24 years ago, and since them a too-fast/substandard head
gasket replacement could have been performed.)

And keep taking that engine apart until you can finally turn the crank again. Maybe you
will find a spun rod bearing. And if it's the #1 and/or #2 rod bearing, you can then
teach them that a loss of engine oil pressure always affects the furthest away rod
bearing first. (Tip of the hat to L31MaxExpress.)

And so on and so forth. Bring it back to solid, original, working condition, have the
photos that can *prove* your claims of goodness, and IMHO you will get a lot more
for that truck than making it mo' betta with more modern bits.

Apologies for the length, but I really like the opportunity you are putting together that
can/will favorably impact a group of future mechanics / mechanical engineers / anyone
who will need the tools to see a complex project through to completion for the least amount
of setbacks / frustration / blown deadlines / cost overruns.

If you ask me, *every* high school should feature a project like this. (And classes on personal
finance as well, but I won't go there at this time. :)

Good stuff. Kudos on you for making this happen.

Cheers --
Thanks for taking the time. Rest assured we are going to squeeze this for every teachable moment.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time. Rest assured we are going to squeeze this for every teachable moment.
Outstanding!

For what it's worth towards the end of my career my primary focus became teaching
the young airmen who were taking my place how to maintain F-16 Avionics, including
the fly-by-wire Flight Controls. I wasn't expecting it at the outset...but it became the
most rewarding part of my 22-year career.

Teach them what a true Sense of Accomplishment is, step back, and watch them soar.

Good on you.

LionPride

Reaction score
Outstanding!

For what it's worth towards the end of my career my primary focus became teaching
the young airmen who were taking my place how to maintain F-16 Avionics, including
the fly-by-wire Flight Controls. I wasn't expecting it at the outset...but it became the
most rewarding part of my 22-year career.

Teach them what a true Sense of Accomplishment is, step back, and watch them soar.

Good on you.
Small world. My brother runs a shop at Shaw.

Amsterdamned96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

To be completely open and transparent: I own the truck, but it is more because of administrative policies and concerns over the district deciding to crush it after we are done with it (rather than having the liability should something happen after students worked on it). The truck will eventually be sold or traded to facilitate a new student project.

We're starting work on our first big project. This is a resurrection. The L31 is reportedly locked up. Our first order of business is to verify we can't get it to turn. We're pulling the plugs and soaking the pistons.

Assuming we can't free it up, we have a couple of engine options: I have a 355 short block fresh from the machine shop, but it is an older 2 piece main seal block. How much trouble to get this into the truck? Worth the effort?

We have a Gen 4 5.3 block shortblock, but it needs a full rebuild. Even with a the machine shop cutting us a break, we don't have the budget to build it out, much less swap it in. We'll have to do some fundraising. I REALLY hate fundraising.

We buy a pull out or donor truck engine freshen up and swap. Again that will take some fund raising.

Now, we do have some assets. The local pick & pull will let us have whatever we want, but pickings are slim. Trucks get jumped on quick and I usually can't get there fast enough. We have a Holley HP ECU we can use with Gen 3 LS harness. We have a variety of random SBC, LS and LT parts and an army of teenagers (for better or worse).

I'm completely open to any suggestions.
I only glanced over the last thread, will give it another read at some point.

When I had to determine wether or not my second-hand (barn-find) 454 was sound, I had mechanics tell me it was fine because it turned over, I suggest that you do a compression-test when pulling the plugs so that you can be certain everything is up to par. I had a slightly bent con-rod that went almost unnoticed.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

We're starting work on our first big project. This is a resurrection. The L31 is reportedly locked up. Our first order of business is to verify we can't get it to turn. We're pulling the plugs and soaking the pistons.

For what it's worth, here's a seized engine that reminded me that most, but not all engines
can be brought back for another round of usage: ('68 Corvette's 427ci/390hp exploratory engine disassembly)

As you previously mentioned, one of those all-important teachable moments. Never forgot the lesson
about the importance of coolant, especially in our summer-driven toys that sit all winter.

Looking forward to your next status report on the L31 motor in the engine bay.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Decades ago I bought a '65 C10 that had the original 283 and Powerglide trans. The owner had driven it with a thrown fan belt until it overheated and quit. Engine was locked up. It sat forever until he finally relented and sold it to me.

A buddy of mine and I went to work on it (he did most of it while I had other pressing concerns, not trying to take credit) - he pulled the plugs and several had water pouring out of the holes. Not a good sign. He squirted a lot of Marvel into the holes and kept working at cranking it over at the balancer bolt with a long breaker bar.

It finally started to move a little bit so we tore further into it and pulled the heads to find they were cracked, and one of the pistons had given up a small chunk that had stuck itself to the top of the cylinder bore. Pliers popped that piece off, and magically a nearby machine shop sold us one piston and rings for it (guess they didn't move a lot of 283 stuff) so we replaced that, threw another set of heads on it, along with a 4 barrel intake and a 525cfm Edelbrock carb.

Got it fired up and running, it smoked for a few hundred miles but the rings managed to get back into shape and that engine ran beautifully for many miles before I traded the truck for a '61.

Richard