L31 intake swap-I am actually doing it not a question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998regcab

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, so I got it running. The tuner came out, plugged his computer in and it ran and idled for a minute before it backfired and died. So he said that the firing order was off. He was able to play with some stuff but never got it to run again and once he left it took me and my buddy about an hour to figure out what the issue was. When we did the 24x part of the repining we followed the directions to the letter. Well either the coil harness I got was different than most (it was off a van so this is could very likely be the case) or someone had changed up the wires in the plug (unlikely) but we didn’t trace which wire went to which injector. Basically we just took what was written and wired it accordingly. When we got looking at it yesterday we realized that every single injector trigger wire on the driver’s side was wired incorrectly. Once we got the wires repined at the computer it fired up and idled pretty well. It definitely bogs when you give it gas off the line and it’ll randomly have a few misses but I am going to try to get the break in done around town over the next week or 2 and then probably trailer it down to the shop to get dyno tuned.

Also it is throwing a code for the cam sensor so I think I may be a tooth off. It is leaking water, I think I said something about this but it is leaking out of a freeze plug and I am going to try to have the machine shop fix that since they put it in, I’ll call them in a bit. And finally it is leaking oil in about the same location as the coolant is coming out. This is what put an end to the drive last night because it was smoking pretty good when it hit the exhaust and was freaking me out :lol:. But I looked at it really quick last night and it looks like the oil dipstick isn’t down all the way so that would cause it to leak right by the leaky freeze plug. I am going to try to fix the cam sensor and the oil leak tomorrow and try to get this broken in by next weekend. Wish me luck.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great your making some progress! That truck is gonna be a beast I bet once tuned. Hope your tranny is up to the task. What is your exhaust setup like?

1998regcab

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great your making some progress! That truck is gonna be a beast I bet once tuned. Hope your tranny is up to the task. What is your exhaust setup like?
I think the transmission will be fine for now I had it "built" a few years back and they put in a shift kit, beast sunshell, and vet servo. The exhaust is well... loud lol. Mid length headers into a 2.5" y-pipe into a single 3" going through 1 spintech 6000 (or 9000 I don't remember which).
You must be registered for see images attach

And just talked to the machine shop they said that it's not uncommon for those freeze plugs to leak at first and that after 4 or 5 times of getting hot it should seal up.

Last edited:

1998regcab

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm diggin your exhaust setup. Nice simple and minimal.
Yeah way easier to run than a dual and duals aren't really necessary. I may end up with a different muffler though lol this one may end up too loud.

1998regcab

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well.. no tune today. The trans is coming out. The oil isn't leaking out of the dip stick, if it is not much is coming out. I am pretty sure the rear main is leaking. And not the seal that goes around the crank... I think that the rear main seal kit I bought right at the beginning of this project only came with the crank seal not a seal for the rear main housing to the block. At the time I didn't know there was a seal that went there, and to be honest I didn't know until yesterday when I got looking at pictures. So unknowingly I put the rear main housing on the block without a gasket. Live and learn I guess. I have the trans ready to pull basically I just need to unbolt it from the block and slide it back. However I may take the transfercase off so I can slide it out from under the truck and try to figure out why its still leaking. It looks like the leak from the transmission is coming from right in front of the pan by where the bell housing bolts to the case. I'll get it eventually.

1998regcab

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am hoping that I can pull it the rest of the way out when I get home but we'll see.

1998regcab

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is the best picture I have right now of the rear main after it was installed. But there doesn't appear to be a seal behind the rear main adapter. I fell asleep last night so I didn't get the flex plate off I did get the transmission off Monday night. I would have dropped it all the way but the electrical connectors did not want to come out.