L31 intake swap-I am actually doing it not a question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Yeah, a real ****** there. It took Toyota's whining to get RACSAN to allow what Chevrolet R&D'd "light years" prior.

Thisis essentially correct. Chevrolet already had most of the development work completed on the R07 when Nascar allowed the other manufacturers a clean slate design fitting in the constraints allowed.

It was mere months to have the R07 approved and ready to race.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
The statement that the only engine to achieve over 100% VE is a 454 is false.

No replacement for displacement? While that is true in some instances, it is obvious you haven't driven anything modern, or kept up with the times.

Small combustion chambers combined with a shallow dish piston or flat tops with valve reliefs are better than big chambers with huge pop ups when comparing like compression ratios.

Pontiac big chief and Olds DRCE cylinder heads were developed to meet the needs of large engines turning high rpm. IIRC, the big chief heads with rolled valve angles had around a 45 cc combustion chamber as cast, a third of what the 119 cc open chamber heads were.

Chevrolet evolved from the SB 2.2 engine program into the R07 a decade ago already. ( it took Toyota petitioning Nascar in order to allow GM, Ford and Dodge a clean slate design )

The LS engines, and now the LT series are light years better than older engines in terms of architecture, engineering, metallurgy, durability, economy, emissions, friction and power.

No displacement replacement is true. Build a bigger magic "R07" and it will make more getup.

The stock stroke gen1 sbc in my Chevelle sports 57cc chambers and 170cc runners feeding 4.030" bore. Contrary to "internet truth", it's still pulling HARD at 6500 rpm too, not out of breath at 4000 rpm. If I ever can get it together, I'll rebuild it with a destroked 400 block and make even more.

All the old BOP torque drafthorse engines were small chamber small port big bore. And they ALL made vats of torque.

I was only commenting on Gm factory stuff of the GMT400 era (I should have commented on that) it goes without saying that most any LS motor is going to out run anything from our years. All our stuff is horribly outdated (I own a mechanical injected turbo 6.2 if that gives you any idea)

There is far better, far faster stuff out there. And some of its mechanical direct injected too (so I guess not so entirely outdated after all, half electric, half mechanical)

Anyways, not looking to start a fight.

Back to the subject of the intake on a L31, anyone got pics of other intakes with TBI fuel injection on them?

No fighting going on here, just a discussion, bro.

Thisis essentially correct. Chevrolet already had most of the development work completed on the R07 when Nascar allowed the other manufacturers a clean slate design fitting in the constraints allowed.

It was mere months to have the R07 approved and ready to race.

Yup, and this was the biggest factor in my decision to render RACSAN a joke and execute a cold turkey stoppage of enthusiasm. Well this and the COT.

1998regcab

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow sorry guys I don't really get on the forums anymore and just out of a whim looked tonight at my old threads and saw a lot of you had asked questions.

But the motor turned out about as you could expect. Runs like a ***** ape at WOT and very little bottom end lol. Purely due to the size of the intake and the throttle body, it really needs more displacement. I don't remember if I ever posted on here about my tuner issues. First tuner didn't do a God damn thing but take my money and tell me nope cant help you. Second tuner is amazing and got the truck running right. Truck made 257 at the rear tires in 2nd gear, tuner openly admits that his dyno reads low said it's probably around 400 at the crank.

You must be registered for see images attach

But the truck was just too much of a problem child to continue to DD after this. It is an absolute blast to drive but I was wrenching on it every weekend if not everyday, the front end was shot, and it was just too much to drive everyday with the exhaust- I was setting off car alarms everyday and I love the way it sounds so I wasn't about to change it.

So... I bought a Duramax to DD lol. Since August the black truck has run a couple times but hasn't made it out of the driveway but once or twice, somethings got to hold it down right? LOL.

The plans for the black truck are to SAS it and... LS swap it lol. I want something reliable to go wheeling with that has more low end. I actually got this license plate for it.

But I plan on taking the intake and computer set up off this motor and putting it on top of a 426 SBC, yes a 426 SBC, and putting it in another 4WD RCSB, lower it, AWD swap, T56 swap, and make it an autox truck.

I'll try to hang around for a bit and answer any questions anyone has.

Pictures of le Duramax:

Reaction score
Awesome thread. I have a 5 speed k1500 with a 383 stroker and a marine intake. I am looking at doing a setup really similar with a Holley MPFI intake with an elbow into a ls style 102mm TB. My question is will the ls throttle body connections plug into the factory harness and work correctly ? They look like they are the same on the ls style and the vortec 350 TB but no where has anyone mentioned about doing this. Referring to just the TPS and IAC. Thanks , Preston