L31 intake swap-I am actually doing it not a question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beardeddummy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The average carb dual plane has shorter runners than the average aftermarket injection intake lol.

There is much more to the equation than just runner size.

At any rate, I'm going to go ahead and use my XT intake on my towing truck, you guy's can do whatever you like.

I would like to see a write up and your opinion on the gains. I may need the expertise when and if I ever get to do this swap. I've only been wanting to our it for a year and I'm not closer than before

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I would like to see a write up and your opinion on the gains. I may need the expertise when and if I ever get to do this swap. I've only been wanting to our it for a year and I'm not closer than before

I'm not very close either, my engine doesn't burn oil or knock or anything, but if I can find another, I'm going to grab it and start on it.

beardeddummy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well if get mine first I can bring to you for help and you will know what it will take for your plus I would have to be an extra hand when it came time for yours or at least that's how we do it now pay just labor for labor.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Not apples to apples trying to compare sbc to bbc guys. They're completely different animals, starting with basic architecture. Enough about that.

Intake manifolds? The best setup? My opinion? MPFI is NOT the answer. The ideal setup for me would be the unobtanium dual plane aluminum GM Mercruiser vortec TBI intake with a big fat marine TBI on top of it. Period.

Last edited:

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not apples to apples trying to compare sbc to bbc guys. They're completely animals, starting with basic architecture. Enough about that.

Intake manifolds? The best setup? My opinion? MPFI is NOT the answer. The ideal setup for me would be the unobtanium dual plane aluminum GM Mercruiser vortec TBI intake with a big fat marine TBI on top of it. Period.

Why that setup?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Because I know what a pair of vortec heads, a good valvetrain and cam, a good tune, and a gmpp hi rise dual plane can do on/in an sbc.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
@Supercharged111 maybe @Justin S can shed some light on the 454 vortec motor, or @88GMCtruck .

I am going to guess cylinder size (its a big mill already) has something to do with intake sizing deviations.

Remember that the only engine to achieve over 100% volumetric efficiency from factory was a carbed 454 engine. No replacement for displacement.

That being said im going to guess that any intake you put on those things has nill effect till you swap cylinder heads. Big motors like to breath big and factory big block heads dont do it as near as i can tell

The statement that the only engine to achieve over 100% VE is a 454 is false.

No replacement for displacement? While that is true in some instances, it is obvious you haven't driven anything modern, or kept up with the times.

Small combustion chambers combined with a shallow dish piston or flat tops with valve reliefs are better than big chambers with huge pop ups when comparing like compression ratios.

Pontiac big chief and Olds DRCE cylinder heads were developed to meet the needs of large engines turning high rpm. IIRC, the big chief heads with rolled valve angles had around a 45 cc combustion chamber as cast, a third of what the 119 cc open chamber heads were.

Chevrolet evolved from the SB 2.2 engine program into the R07 a decade ago already. ( it took Toyota petitioning Nascar in order to allow GM, Ford and Dodge a clean slate design )

The LS engines, and now the LT series are light years better than older engines in terms of architecture, engineering, metallurgy, durability, economy, emissions, friction and power.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Yeah, a real ****** there. It took Toyota's whining to get RACSAN to allow what Chevrolet R&D'd "light years" prior.

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
I was only commenting on Gm factory stuff of the GMT400 era (I should have commented on that) it goes without saying that most any LS motor is going to out run anything from our years. All our stuff is horribly outdated (I own a mechanical injected turbo 6.2 if that gives you any idea)

There is far better, far faster stuff out there. And some of its mechanical direct injected too (so I guess not so entirely outdated after all, half electric, half mechanical)

Anyways, not looking to start a fight.

Back to the subject of the intake on a L31, anyone got pics of other intakes with TBI fuel injection on them?