1999 Suburban 7.4 engine swap to 502

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SlowJoe

Reaction score
I bought a project suburban and have been going through it getting everything back as it should be. New interior, steering components, tires, hoses etc. Pretty much anything that was broken or a consumable/ wear item was replaced. The body was in great shape except for a damaged RF fender. It came with a nice salvage one which I have now installed. I thought I was through the worst of it and it was about ready for service and then the engine started knocking. I pulled it out and disassembled it. It was really a mess. All of the bearings were absolutely trashed and the #2 main spun. I took it to the machine shop and they confirmed that it's beyond repair. I have read some about strokers and other larger swaps on here. This site is a really great resource and the collective knowledge shared here is outstanding. I am a chevy guy but all of my previous experience is with small blocks and mostly carbed ones. I was hoping that by starting a thread I may get some helpful suggestions for things to consider while I go through getting it all back together again. So thanks in advance!

I placed an order for this engine:

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19433156.html

I havent received any updates on shipping yet, but I am hoping it will actually be on the way soon. Since the truck obviously had a severe lack of maintenance over it's previous history I went ahead and pulled the transmission out today to get it rebuilt while everything is apart. If I didnt go ahead and do this, my luck dictates that within 1 month of getting the new engine operational the transmission would fail. I have learned to embrace the demons that haunt me and just go the extra mile to remove their opportunities to cause me grief whenever possible. The transfer case needs rebuilding anyhow because the clutches were smoked. The fluid was the nastiest smelling I have ever experienced. I am done with new vehicles and my goal for this one is to be as reliable as possible when I am done with it. I realize the stock intake is not ideal for maximizing the power potential this engine, but I would imagine the same statement could be made about the stock engine as well. From the reading I have done, it does seem to potentially help (or at least be adequate for?) the low end to mid range and this will coincide with my intended usage just fine. Blackbear performance told me that the injectors I have would not adequately support this engine and suggested that I get 2001-2002 GM LS1 injectors. Otherwise he said it he could tune for the larger engine with no problem. I am aware I will need to swap over my timing cover with the crank sensor and the crank reluctor. I have read about the harmonic balancer having clearance issues. Would this be resolved by swapping my old balancer onto the new engine? Comments on this would be appreciated.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what i remember when i was researching you will need to have the thickness of the reluctor machined off the rear of the dampener. Something like .060? Measure yours and you will know for sure. You might also need a new timing chain because only a single roller will fit under the vortec cover.
Stock L29 has knock sensors on each side of the block. Be sure to check your new block has the same bosses for mounting them.

SlowJoe

Reaction score
This is helpful. This block is supposedly a gen VI block so I am expecting it to have the same castings, but I have no idea. I would imagine it would be a waste of time to ask such questions over the phone and expect to receive valid answers. I am hoping to retain as much of the stock "operating system" as possible, but knowing I am somewhat blindly jumping in and going to have problems to resolve. Worst case, I could buy an intake, carb and a normal distributor and run it that way. Actually thats more in line with speaking my language, but I am not sure how to keep the dash, transmission (etc?) happy and functional if I went that route. If I did understand that end of things, I would be consider going that way if it wasnt a large additional investment of time and money. I also am not sure how tall the valve covers are that come on this engine or how much clearance the rockers will need. I have a shop here that could make some plenum spacers if necessary to allow for more height. There are not a lot of drop in- plug and play options for this generation of engine....