95 7.4 starting(?) problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Godholio

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I was towing a Ranger on a uhaul trailer. My 95 Suburban was doing perfectly fine, until suddenly it wasn't doing anything. It died as if I'd turned the key. I figured out the injectors weren't injecting, and hoped maybe some old electronics were heat-soaked. After a few minutes, it started up but had no power on the road and stalled again 1/4 mile later. That's where the trucks spent the night. Next morning, I loaded up the parts cannon with a TPS, coolant temp sensor (front), ignition control module, and a cap/rotor. Not only did none of it help, one of the cap screws broke off halfway in. That's when I threw in the towel and had a hell of a night getting everything home. I take pictures of everything though, which helps with getting things realigned or wires run properly, etc. And the pic of the broken screw ended up showing me that the reluctor star-wheel was cracked. I circled the screw and sent to a friend, THEN noticed the crack. So I got a new distributor installed, turned the key and...a sad, single click. Battery was reading 11.9, so I had it recharged, and the truck started right up.

You must be registered for see images attach

Fast forward a week and I once again get a single click. I get the battery topped off again, but nothing changes. Pull the starter, it tests good, re-install, and it actually starts; idle is a bit high, about 1000 rpm in park. I put it in gear just to test drive it around the yard, but there's no typical shift into gear. And the truck doesn't move. It'll rev a little but nothing actually happens. When I shift back to park, there's grinding. I immediately shut it off. Then I tried it again and recorded the grinding.

My current thought is maybe the bearings in the starter are worn and it was just bound up, but now maybe it's misaligned on the flywheel? There were no shims when I removed it. It has the correct knurled bolts. I have no idea if this is the original starter, there are some numbers stippled into the case but they're pretty much unreadable.

It's raining and I don't feel like laying in the mud to remove and reinstall the starter again, so I figured I'd see what the internet thinks. I think the first batch of problems was due to the distributor, but I included everything because who knows.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the pic of the broken screw ended up showing me that the reluctor star-wheel was cracked... ...So I got a new distributor installed, turned the key and...a sad, single click. Battery was reading 11.9, so I had it recharged, and the truck started right up.
Good job. Now you need to figure out why the charging system isn't keeping the battery charged--failed alternator? Failed wire harness/battery cables? Failed battery? I'd ask if the starter draw was excessive, but you said you've had it tested already.

Fast forward a week and I once again get a single click. I get the battery topped off again, but nothing changes. Pull the starter, it tests good, re-install, and it actually starts
Do you trust the folks who "tested" your starter?

I put it in gear just to test drive it around the yard, but there's no typical shift into gear. And the truck doesn't move. It'll rev a little but nothing actually happens. When I shift back to park, there's grinding.
Put the transfer case in gear instead of neutral.

Godholio

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The battery was drained initially by several days of trying to get the truck to start. The alternator is a beefy Powermaster I installed last year when I did a big 5 upgrade. If it gets the chance to run, it charges just fine.

I watched him set up the machine, which he did properly. If the bearings are worn, it could be an intermittent problem though. I've ordered a replacement already; I have no idea how old this starter is or who made it.

For the transfer case...THIS is why I posted about this. The internet will never fail to point out the stupid mistakes (thanks lol). I completely forgot it was in neutral from getting towed home. It moves again, go figure. But the idle is still off, and when I put it back into park it didn't grind but it got noticeably rougher.

If it ever stops raining this week, I'll pull the starter, mark the gears, reinstall, and try again.