Help, seize when cranking on cold starts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mossback

Reaction score
Hey guys, back again. Haven’t been able to work on the truck all winter. Have my volt meter with me here now. Battery with cables unhooked tests good at 11.5v as soon as I hook up the grounds and the cable that runs from the fuse box under the hood to the positive terminal the voltage at the posts drops to 8-9v

Mossback

Reaction score
That’s 9v with the key on, if I pull the 40a fuse (ignition A) with the key on the voltage goes up to 10-11v

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No load at all battery disconnected showing 11.5V, that battery is discharged. I'd start by giving it a full charge first. Sounds like there's other issues still, but that battery needs to be fully charged before any of your other results have meaning.

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
11.5 volts on a "12-volt" battery is TOTALLY DISCHARGED.

You'll be lucky if that battery recovers after being charged overnight...maybe all day.

And if it was that discharged during freezing weather, it's probably ruined.

Mossback

Reaction score
Copy that, I’m going to try a new battery.
would that have any explanation for that voltage drop when hooking up the positive cable?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Copy that, I’m going to try a new battery.
would that have any explanation for that voltage drop when hooking up the positive cable?
Weak or defective battery showing 11.5V wouldn't surprise me at all for it to drop significantly when any load is applied.

You should try fully charging it first.

Richard

Mossback

Reaction score
Wow.. that battery was less than a year old. But it was indeed faulty. Warranty covered a new one and all is good!! Sorry I feel like an idiot I need a legit battery tester.

Still has a slight stop/hesitation when cranking right before it fires though?