Crank, spark, no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canadian Rust Bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all,
I had an issue crop up with my '95 c1500 350tbi over the weekend and I have exhausted my diagnostic abilities. I have also read up on the forum to try to figure this out but am at a loss.
The sequence of events:
-Pulled the truck out of the garage Saturday, it gave some grief starting. Had to hold the throttle down slightly to maintain a smooth idle. More pressing issues at the time, so did not investigate promptly.
-Turned the truck off.
-Attempted to start the truck the next day, no dice.
-checked the voltage at the fuel pump harness, pump has 11v with the key on. Good spray from the injectors when cranking.
-Put 20 litres of fresh gas in the tank, which was reading at just below 1/4.
-checked spark by pulling #1 and #3 plugs, good arc across the gap. Measured the gap at .035 as per my manual. Plug is carbon fouled, but nothing extreme.
-checked timing, the distributor rotor + cap are set correctly and match when #1 is at TDC.
-Cap, rotor, plug wires, fuel pump, spark plugs, starter, ignition coil, all less than 2 years old and with less than 10km on them.
-No scan tool to read obd1 data on hand, and no codes showing with the jumper wire/CEL.

At this point, I've checked everything I know how to check. Are there any potential culprits I've overlooked?

Thank you for your help!

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You said good spray from injectors when cranking. What is the fuel pressure? But, if you are getting any fuel at all, down the throat, it should at least sputter. If looking at the fuel spray, you have air getting in there.

Canadian Rust Bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You said good spray from injectors when cranking. What is the fuel pressure? But, if you are getting any fuel at all, down the throat, it should at least sputter. If looking at the fuel spray, you have air getting in there.
There's no stock fuel pressure gauge, right? I'll have to add one to check the pressure. I had the same thought w.r.t. getting fuel down the throttle body, but I'm not getting any ignition. Even when I tried pouring it in manually, nothing.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You said you checked spark at #1 and #3 plugs. Blue spark or orange spark? Blue spark is good. What do ALL the plugs look like?