Help, seize when cranking on cold starts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mossback

Reaction score
I was thinking about timing too. Going to check when I get my timing light back.

How do I test amperage draw?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was thinking about timing too. Going to check when I get my timing light back.

How do I test amperage draw?
For amperage you need an inductive pickup on a suitable meter. Clamps over the battery cable and measures the magnetic induction current flowing through the wire to give an amperage reading. Alot of auto parts places once sold a small handheld mechanical gauge that clipped on to a battery cable that was reasonably accurate.

Mossback

Reaction score
For amperage you need an inductive pickup on a suitable meter. Clamps over the battery cable and measures the magnetic induction current flowing through the wire to give an amperage reading. Alot of auto parts places once sold a small handheld mechanical gauge that clipped on to a battery cable that was reasonably accurate.
Ok. I don’t have one of those on hand.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I still have one of these. Has two different sized grooves on the back, you lay over the battery cable or the alternator output wire. Larger groove tests the starter, smaller groove tests alternator output. Very simple, inexpensive, easy to use tool and reasonably accurate enough for what you are looking to test.

You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After some searching, Toolaid still offers their 24600. Looka like the same thing but capable of measuring even more amps.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I still have one of these. Has two different sized grooves on the back, you lay over the battery cable or the alternator output wire. Larger groove tests the starter, smaller groove tests alternator output. Very simple, inexpensive, easy to use tool and reasonably accurate enough for what you are looking to test.

You must be registered for see images attach
These are a really inexpensive quickie tool that unfortunately seems to have been discontinued for a while now. Thanks for the reminder on these as I just scored a nice looking used example cheap ($22 shipped) off eBay. The Toolaid one looks decent and for the price it's hard to beat.

Richard