Weird starting problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sneakingfart

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For sure, that's why I wasn't convinced that it was a bad battery. I replaced it anyway. New starter is in, so far so good. Seemed that it would act up after driving for a while. Something about heat and the starter solenoid didn't agree. Which is annoying because it's a less than a year old Delco gear reduction starter. If this happens again, anyone have any recommendations for a better starter?

LemonHead

Reaction score
Had a few like this. First thought is the starter, even though it’s newer it’s still likely to have a bad solenoid. Before pulling the starter out though you need to check voltage on your excite wire. Check it on the stud!! When you do this your checking continuity between the eyelit on the wire to the solenoid stud itself. If you don’t get any voltage or a low amount (should be around b+ volts) then check the eye off the wire itself. If you’re getting good volts then I would venture to say you have an intermittent solenoid. Like sneakyfart said when the starter warms up solenoids tend to fail!
Hope this helps

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
I had a similar thing on my 90 C1500. After I cleaned and tightened all the grounds and power connections under the hood, never had an issue since.