Truck won't start, need suggestions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with what your saying totally. I assumed the ohm meter would be a general indicator and not a solid reliable test. If you want to dig into this thing, sure. i will send it to you!

Final Resistance Measurement of Failed ECT sensor confirms off the FSM chart reading

You know, it's always nice to get the chance to acknowledge someone in public for going above
and beyond in order to share solid failure data that can be used for future troubleshooting by
the GMT400 community.

After Beason troubleshot his non-starting TBI truck to a bad Engine Coolant Temperature
sensor & got it running, I asked if he could send the sensor to me so that I could see if I could
get a steady reading out of it with my FLUKE? (In the video his meter was constantly autoranging
and we couldn't see exactly what resistance his sensor was vs the temp/resistance chart in the FSM?)

In order to set the stage, here's the ECT temp/resistance chart one more time:

You must be registered for see images attach

And here is Beason's sensor at 72 degrees F on a FLUKE 117:

You must be registered for see images attach

Almost 1.7 Megohms (on a 0-6 Megohm scale) vs the correct measurement at 72 degrees: ~3,200 ohms

If the sensor had shorted out internally, the computer would be misinformed that the engine coolant was above 212 degrees F,
and would starve a cold engine for fuel, making for difficult starting at winter temps.

But since this sensor failed 'open', the computer is misinformed that the engine coolant is -40 degrees F,
so the computer commands an extremely rich A/F ratio. (~2:1, instead of 14.7:1 stoich all warmed up.)

This would help to explain why the TBI injectors looked like shower nozzles even at cranking speed. (!)

NOTE: I am confident that this is a valid measurement. The initial reading was in the ~1.65 Megohm
range, and drifted up over a short period of time before it stabilized here. (Thinking the internal
bits, although busted, were still reacting ever so slightly to the voltage applied by the meter?)

I just wanted to see if we could get steady readings from Beason's 'engine proven bad' ECT sensor,
and then leave it here for future troubleshooters. But I couldn't have done this without this fine
Texan taking the time & effort to send the failed sensor up my way here in the Finger Lakes region of NY.

Tip of the hat towards Houston. Nice team effort. :waytogo:

Cheers --

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Thanks for the great write up and detailed info. I am glad the issue was repeatable and your findings matched mine. Now we know!
Apologies if I've asked you before, but what part of Houston are you in? I didn't realize you were in the area!

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
SE Houston, League City area.
I've been through there a few times. Many years ago there was a swap meet at Walter Long Park and my family would set up there. Usually did pretty good....that was back when we still had square body trucks and Burbs.
I've heard rumors about that swap meet getting started back up....I remember the park was pretty nice and had a lot of space.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been through there a few times. Many years ago there was a swap meet at Walter Long Park and my family would set up there. Usually did pretty good....that was back when we still had square body trucks and Burbs.
I've heard rumors about that swap meet getting started back up....I remember the park was pretty nice and had a lot of space.
There is a Walter Hall park nearby, but i am not aware of a Walter Long park. Maybe that was it!

RacerM95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
dumb thought..... unplug the seat line you put in. start at square 1. everything was fine till you messed with the seats. you said you plugged into the fuse box in an unused port... Just a thought. Dont get me wrong, it could be a total coincidence that the engine starts acting up. when you messed with the seats.....

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
dumb thought..... unplug the seat line you put in. start at square 1. everything was fine till you messed with the seats. you said you plugged into the fuse box in an unused port... Just a thought. Dont get me wrong, it could be a total coincidence that the engine starts acting up. when you messed with the seats.....
it ended up being a bad coolant temp sensor in the end. It was just coincidence that it started at the same time.

Buy an old truck they said, it will be fun they said...

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
it ended up being a bad coolant temp sensor in the end. It was just coincidence that it started at the same time.

Buy an old truck they said, it will be fun they said...
Sometimes it's great fun, other times it's pure torment. But in all fairness, newer stuff breaks too, and with them it's often way more expensive.