Truck won't start, need suggestions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright guys, need some insight.

89obs with stock tbi.

Has been running fine for months.
Filled up with fuel at Kroger Saturday morning. Went to lunch, a few errands, all fine.

Got home and a few hours later went out to install new seats. Driver seat is power so installed an add a circuit to the unused 4wd fuse to power the seat. Had the key on and off a few times checking connections etc. Truck is 2wd so fuse is unused.

After I was done I went to start it to move it back to it's spot. Started but then dies. Cranked and cranked until it finally started again. Let it idle for a bit to recharge battery. Ran a little rough at first but cleared up, but would change idle speed up and down. I figured it flooded because I kept turning the key on.

Drove around the block, no issues. parked and restarted no issues.

This morning it tried to start then went back to cranking no start.

My gut says trash in the filter or pickup, but I did mess with (unrelated) electrical stuff too.

Suggestions?

I plan to pull the filter housing and see if I can see fuel, but I don't have a fuel pressure tester and I don't know if it has a spot to test.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You get a fuel pressure test set from harbor freight, has all adapters including a TBI test adapter. Or similar product from Amazon, with TBI adapter. Guessing is bad, failed oil pressure sender. Is fuel spraying from injectors. Have good spark?
Start with basics Air, Fuel, Spark. THEN. Why no fuel, or Why no spark.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Took the air filter off and watched. Plenty of fuel.

Took plug 1 out and checked. Have spark.

Air is air.

Wtf..

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd pull the fuse that you installed, see if anything changes.

Connect a scan tool, verify ALL the sensors and computer outputs.

Yeah, a fuel pressure test is recommended--priming and running. Fuel filter replacement/inspection, too.

How old are the usual tune-up items--cap, rotor, plug wires, plugs? EGR works right? PCV works right? Heated air intake works?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's not just the amount, injection needs pressure. That's why the " Fuel Pressure Test Kit."

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sorry for the late update, its been busy and i havent had time to really mess with it.

the fuel is spraying into the barrels at what seems to be an acceptable level. possibly even excessive.

spark was good on plug 1 but the plugs were pretty dirty. I have no idea what the age of the other sparky bits are.

89 has obd1 i think, and i dont have a scanner for that.

reverted the fuse changes, still no change.

going to replace plugs and check timing next i guess. maybe fuel filter as well, since its easy.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
does anyone have a link to a fuel pressure testing set? or do most all of them come with everything needed?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
does anyone have a link to a fuel pressure testing set? or do most all of them come with everything needed?
Get a free rental from your local auto parts store. Open it there to make sure it’s got what you need.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media