Truck won't start, need suggestions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
this kit has connector 72308 listed as the tbi part. i assume this bypasses the filter?

You must be registered for see images attach

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this kit has connector 72308 listed as the tbi part. i assume this bypasses the filter?

That's what it appears to do, to me. The fittings seem proper. It's "bypasses" the fuel filter in the sense that the filter is removed from the fuel circuit and this is connected in its place.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1705337265056-png.358539
Wild Guess: 72308 is TBI, all right. Specifically, the double one-barrel "CrossFire" TBI system of Camaros and 'Vettes.

Nothing in that set looks like what I'd expect for a single-two-barrel TBI system.
In place of the fuel filter:
www.amazon.com/Tool-Aid-37650-General-Adapter/dp/B0002SR544/ref=sr_1_8?crid=IM7TV75L81GV
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

There's another kind that screws into the supply hose at the rear of the throttle body. I can't find the adapter separately, but it's included with this gauge set:
www.amazon.com/Actron-CP7838-Professional-Pressure-Tester/dp/B0009XQUKC/ref=sr_1_20?crid=IM7TV75L81GV

Note that the included gauge is pretty close to useless with TBI because the scale goes to 100 psi, and a TBI runs at 9--13 psi originally.

Another issue is that the adapter--whichever one you end up using--has to have the matching fitting to the gauge you're using. There's at least two thread sizes of Schrader valve, and some fuel pressure gauges use quick-couplers instead of threaded fittings.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
went ahead and grabbed a set of plugs, wires, cap and rotor. since i dont know the history, might as well do a full tune up while its down.

Plan to test in between so i know what it actually was. i hope its not the fuel pump...

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wild Guess: 72308 is TBI, all right. Specifically, the double one-barrel "CrossFire" TBI system of Camaros and 'Vettes.

Nothing in that set looks like what I'd expect for a single-two-barrel TBI system.
In place of the fuel filter:
www.amazon.com/Tool-Aid-37650-General-Adapter/dp/B0002SR544/ref=sr_1_8?crid=IM7TV75L81GV

There's another kind that screws into the supply hose at the rear of the throttle body. I can't find the adapter separately, but it's included with this gauge set:
www.amazon.com/Actron-CP7838-Professional-Pressure-Tester/dp/B0009XQUKC/ref=sr_1_20?crid=IM7TV75L81GV

Note that the included gauge is pretty close to useless with TBI because the scale goes to 100 psi, and a TBI runs at 9--13 psi originally.

Another issue is that the adapter--whichever one you end up using--has to have the matching fitting to the gauge you're using. There's at least two thread sizes of Schrader valve, and some fuel pressure gauges use quick-couplers instead of threaded fittings.
i am assuming that one of those hoses has ends the same size as the ones on the filter, and it would screw into the hard lines on either side. bypassing the filter.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, update. Got it to run due a short time. Enough to get it into the shop and on the service ramps.

I did so by holding the gas pedal to the floor. It would spit and sputter but finally started. Rough at first but cleared up. I let it idle a while. Shutting it off and restarting a few times with success.

It was still idling while I was looking at the fuel relay area for any indication of issues, and started stumbling and eventually died. It then would not restart
I could hold the pedal down and it would spit and sputter but never fully start.

Does this new information point me in any specific direction?

Bevis

Reaction score
It was still idling while I was looking at the fuel relay area for any indication of issues, and started stumbling and eventually died. It then would not restart
I could hold the pedal down and it would spit and sputter but never fully start.
I went thru something like this two months ago. Mine ended up being the bottom of distributor broke and knocked timing out.

sneakingfart

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuel pressure regulator is my guess. At least that's the problem I had on my 1999, and similar symptoms to yours. Basically was dumping fuel into 2 of the cylinders and oil had like a quart of gasoline in it.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, update. Got it to run due a short time. Enough to get it into the shop and on the service ramps.

I did so by holding the gas pedal to the floor. It would spit and sputter but finally started. Rough at first but cleared up. I let it idle a while. Shutting it off and restarting a few times with success.

Does this new information point me in any specific direction?

Greetings Beason,

By holding the gas pedal to the floor you successfully put the TBI into the "Clear Flood" mode.**

Check out this description from the '89 Factory Service Manual:

So this tells me that the current state of your engine is that it's prone to flooding
when the TBI is in starting mode.

The 2 different primary failure scenarios are A) TBI's fuel delivery calculations are way off because it's being lied
to by a sensor (aka: Coolant Temp sensor) ...or B) the fueling is correct *but* the necessary
spark is weak/missing, so after a bunch of extra cranking the engine is inevitably flooded.

Given the above, I'd be sure to give the ignition system a comprehensive look in addition to the
fuel system troubleshooting you are already performing.

Best of luck!

**Troubleshooting note: Carburetors had an identical function which was implemented
via the "Choke Unloader" linkage. When it was properly adjusted, holding the gas pedal
to the floor would force the choke butterfly from fully closed (via the bimetallic automatic choke
spring) to ~1/8" clearance around the airhorn. Inspected/corrected this adjustment countless
times when rebuilding carbs in a previous life. :0)

And the point I was trying to make is that back then everyone learned how to clear a flooded engine
from either reading the Owner's Manual or from whoever taught them how to drive...so when the
'new' TBI came out, they made sure that the vehicle continued to respond to the driver's inputs
in the same exact way as the old carbs did as much as possible.

Man...having lived through the carb -> TBI transition, I'm old. :0)

Last edited: