What are my options for 6x9 speakers in an ext cab?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

No4x4andNo350

Reaction score
I just got a pair of Pioneer TS-G970M for free. Do not know if they are even worth a darn, I believe they are from 2003, but I wanted to put them in my truck, but I do not really know what my options are.

My first instinct is to go get wood and build a box to slide under the bench on the drivers side. I would center it under the bench, but the jack box is in the way. With this I am a little worried about it sounding weird with it being under the bench and off center. I do not usually have more than a front seat passenger, but occasionally, i have one or two people in the back and i would want the music to sound decent for back seat passengers, but mainly for driver and front seat passenger.

I have also thought about mounting them outside the rear pillars on top of the factory location, but i would be worried they would irritate the rear passengers.

I have never done car audio, so I will probably not be familiar with any lingo or standard practice for after market audio.

Attachments

• IMG_1753.jpeg
    IMG_1753.jpeg
    520.6 KB · Views: 8

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make, model, year, ? Will you always have passengers? Turn the volume down. Do you have rear speakers? Does Pioneer recommend these as replacements?

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Save your money and invest in a dedicated 2.2 system for listening, if you're into music. You'll see at least 3x the gains for every dollar you put there vs a car. I consider myself to be a huge audiophile, by my truck's system is stock other than the Infinity plate speakers, '94 CDM swap and auxiliary input mod.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Personally I would get rid of those and get some 4"x6"s that will mount up in the factory locations. The front speakers may be 6.5"s in the doors ('95+) or 4"x6"s in the dash ('88-'94) but the rears are always 4"x6" in the pickups.

No4x4andNo350

Reaction score
Make, model, year, ? Will you always have passengers? Turn the volume down. Do you have rear speakers? Does Pioneer recommend these as replacements?
'96 c1500 ext cab

could not find any information on them because pioneer discontinued them.

No4x4andNo350

Reaction score
Save your money and invest in a dedicated 2.2 system for listening, if you're into music. You'll see at least 3x the gains for every dollar you put there vs a car. I consider myself to be a huge audiophile, by my truck's system is stock other than the Infinity plate speakers, '94 CDM swap and auxiliary input mod.
any recommendation for a 2.2 sytem on the more affordable side? brands/websites?

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
any recommendation for a 2.2 sytem on the more affordable side? brands/websites?
I just chucked some Kicker 4x6's in my dash, were about $80 Canadian, sound ok for the price.

Edit.... didn't realize you were a 96. Disregard my post. But pretty much any manufacturer will have speakers in your budget.
Look at Cruchfield, they have a great site that tells you what fits, and good pricing as well.

Last edited:

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score

Plenty!

Preamp: Crown Straight Line One or Parasound P5 (If you'd like a remote and XLR inputs/outputs)

Amps: Crown PS 200's or 400's. If you like it loud, you'll want two of either so you can bridge them.

Speaker: Klipsch Cornwall I's. / UREI 811C's.

Subs: N/A. The x.2 aspect will come later/optional, but the Cornies will get you going for awhile. If you opt for the UREI's, run two M&K MX-350THX's underneath them, low passed at 90hz.

I haven't checked the prices of Klipsch Cornwall's (The ones from the mid 70's) in a while, but if you can score a pair for < $1,500, I'd say that's a good deal & a start. Preamp shouldn't hit you more than $300, unless you go for the Parasound. Amps can be had for <$400. Initially, it'll seem pretty expensive, but you'll find the system hard to beat for even 3x the investment. The UREI/M&K combo will be a bit more elusive and expensive.

Last edited: