first modification suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
LOL. I understand we've had different experiences here. I'm just saying that way too often I've encountered "performance" parts, usually ignition related, that were in reality just overpriced and inferior to some of the higher-end stuff at any parts store. They are literally making parts for cheap, labeling them as "performance" so they can sell them higher, and reaping the profits.

Definitely not saying whatever's cheapest at your local Autozone is going to cut it either.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
LOL. I understand we've had different experiences here. I'm just saying that way too often I've encountered "performance" parts, usually ignition related, that were in reality just overpriced and inferior to some of the higher-end stuff at any parts store. They are literally making parts for cheap, labeling them as "performance" so they can sell them higher, and reaping the profits.

Definitely not saying whatever's cheapest at your local Autozone is going to cut it either.
gotcha, i know people have bad luck with certain things but ive never had an issue with MSD on my tbi trucks, maybe thats just me so i usually choose them for ignition. but i get what your saying.

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My '98 has a full urethane body & suspension kit, quick ratio steering box, decent shocks, an upgraded front sway bar plus a rear sway bar. The ride is 'tight', maybe too much so for some! These mods totally changed the ride & handling of the truck. I like it!
When I ordered the urethane kit, I got extra lube added to the shipment. Slather that stuff on the bushings. If you think that there is too much on there, put on more!
Don't get that lube on your clothes. It'll be there forever! Wear some nitrile gloves if you don't want to wear that stuff on your hands for the next week!
The sway bar bushings have grease zerks. When you do a lube, they must be lubed with synthetic grease.
I've been told that the red ones will squeak more than the black ones. The '98 has red. They don't squeak! My '97 has the black urethane sway bar bushings. They squeak! Go figure!

Link to these things plz

Tapatapatalk

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My '98 has a full urethane body & suspension kit, quick ratio steering box, decent shocks, an upgraded front sway bar plus a rear sway bar. The ride is 'tight', maybe too much so for some! These mods totally changed the ride & handling of the truck. I like it!
When I ordered the urethane kit, I got extra lube added to the shipment. Slather that stuff on the bushings. If you think that there is too much on there, put on more!
Don't get that lube on your clothes. It'll be there forever! Wear some nitrile gloves if you don't want to wear that stuff on your hands for the next week!
The sway bar bushings have grease zerks. When you do a lube, they must be lubed with synthetic grease.
I've been told that the red ones will squeak more than the black ones. The '98 has red. They don't squeak! My '97 has the black urethane sway bar bushings. They squeak! Go figure!

Links plz

Tapatapatalk

Rusty Nail

Artificial membership inflator
Reaction score
Rusty Nail, you've posted a lot of good advice, but replacing the ignition module with an aftermarket one is a terrible idea if you're after any sense of reliability.

Thanks.
I speak only of my experience and stand by my previous statements.

Rusty Nail

Artificial membership inflator
Reaction score
Rear ANTI SWAY bars are usually bolted through the lower control arms of cars. Since mosty trucks have a simple leaf spring rear suspension, they are not an option. Anything you chose to fabricate , like some kind of a panard bar , would be a full custom deal but I would probably begin sourcing third generation Camaro parts to mod, even though the same parts in the aftermarket are far superior. You could at least mock it up out of a salvage yard -I GUESS. It would might even work! Maybe not though because there may be too much inherent suspension travel and it would certainly be CHEAP.

The panard bar is what you see running from the driver side of the diff to the passenger side frame.
http://s307.photobucket.com/user/therealsplitter/media/dana.jpg.html?t=1304654858

Maybe screwed on an anti sway bar though. UNLESS you could find one that would bolt through slapper bars on the leaf springs... that's gotta be somewhere...i've seen them in NBS trucks, but that's a different forum.
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/...43-nbs-rear-anti-sway-bar-install-review.html

Ever heard of a trac bar? Kits are sold for those I think it's kind of the same principle as a panard bar, just less of it. Differential to frame.

You can find one if you look hard enough. But i'm kinda sure you won't find a factory example because you have leaf spring suspension. I MAY be wrong - it happens sometimes.
You have an interesting concept.

Last edited: