Tool Box Suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need a new tool box. I’ve outgrown my Hobo Freight 42x22 box. The biggest length I could fit is a 72” box.
Requirements:
-Minimum 24” depth
-1 box. No side cabinets
-Must be under $2K out the door
-Should have a tall/wide top drawer for sockets
-Should have a short/wide drawer for wrenches
-Sturdy top or ability to modify the top - will need a vice bolted to it

Anyone have any suggestions? What’s listed above aren’t make or break things, but things that I think are important. Keep in mind this won’t be making me money so it’s hard to justify something oriented more towards professionals that cost a lot more. I’m an enthusiast at the end of the day who is tired of my wrenches being in 3 different drawers.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Cruise CL and FB for used SnapOn boxes. They really are great quality boxes, just no need to pay the tool truck price, ever.

My best box I got for $1K and it was a $5.5K box new, and was still in like-new condition. Whether the guy that owned it still owes the SnapOn man is between them. Now I've got 2 SnapOn roll boxes, 1 top box, and an old school cart that I'm not really using at the moment since I'm just working in this "2" car garage. I barely have $2K total invested in all of it. The 2nd roll box was part of a deal where I scored a lot of nice tools, too - including a lot of Snappy stuff. Not included in what I've got invested in the boxes, still got a great deal on them.

Richard

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The trend I'm seeing is the newbies are going with multiple roll carts so the bigger boxes are not pulling the big money. Bigger boxes usually have deeper drawers. Example, my Matco box drawers are 28" front to back. Against the wall it's like 32 or so inches to the front plus another 28 to get the drawers open. 5' of room is needed plus me squeezed in there somewhere. Some ones are 24" inches deep with 18" drawers. My Snap on was pretty deep as well (22 or 24" drawers?). Most tops are just sheet metal I can't really see supporting a vice without out like a sheet of 3/8 plate. Not much to the stainless tops either. I beat the hell out of vice, hammer forming sheet metal, might be a torch or a welder involved so on the box wouldn't be good. Weld spatter, spraying penetrant, etc.

The one thing about the tool truck boxes, Snappy, Mac, Cornwell, Matco they got where they'll only warranty to original purchaser. Slides, casters and such.

Snap-on didn't want to warranty 2 casters on a double bank lower I paid $900 for 10 years prior and Matco gave me a $3k trade in on it with barely rolling casters when their boxes went on sale. So I ordered one with a custom drawer configuration. I was always hunting, horse trading used boxes, upgrading until I got the Matco. It was the first new box I ever bought. Used ones are out there and sometimes the truck guys are sitting on some trade-ins. Look around, might score a killer deal. I've bought tops and bottoms and sold the tops and had little in the bottoms.

Last edited:

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check out the HF scratch and dent…

I loved my snap-on classic 78, black with stainless top. Looked amazing. It even fell off my car hauler when I was unloading it on time and still worked great. I sold it when I got my service truck.

I’m real interested in the icon and general boxes, the general tool cart I use at the house seems to be holding up great. I can’t say the same for my husky, it’s one socket away from a mental meltdown. Now that i don’t mechanic for a living I like going out in the garage and tinkering.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check out the HF scratch and dent…

I loved my snap-on classic 78, black with stainless top. Looked amazing. It even fell off my car hauler when I was unloading it on time and still worked great. I sold it when I got my service truck.

I’m real interested in the icon and general boxes, the general tool cart I use at the house seems to be holding up great. I can’t say the same for my husky, it’s one socket away from a mental meltdown. Now that i don’t mechanic for a living I like going out in the garage and tinkering.
I tipped my snap on over one time as well, was hella surprised it didn't rack it. When I bought the Matco lots of guys were having issues with the coatings on the Snap-on boxes and the Matco drawers boxes were of thicker steel. 20 Y/O and no issues with it. I had the super deep bottom drawers and pulled the second one out it started going over. lol I stepped away and let it go.

Last edited:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
-Must be under $2K out the door
-Should have a tall/wide top drawer for sockets
-Should have a short/wide drawer for wrenches
The only box I've ever seen with both a deep full width drawer and a shallow full width drawer right under it was a Mac Maximizer and 2 bank from there down. Just not that common a set up.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I went from a large Husky roll away with two large Husky boxes stacked on top and had to always be moving tools out of the way to get to what I wanted. I found a Snap On 3 bay stainless top for $3k and now have plenty of room.

I seriously considered and feel I would be happy with an ICON large lower cabinet. I used to make my living with my tools and had nothing but Snap On, Mac, Matco or SK tools. I don't anymore but I am in that box a lot and I need to depend on it. Get some quality and large quality used boxes are out there.

Attachments

• 20231213_155258.jpg
    20231213_155258.jpg
    570.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231214_124129.jpg
    20231214_124129.jpg
    744.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231214_124210.jpg
    20231214_124210.jpg
    853.1 KB · Views: 9

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went from a large Husky roll away with two large Husky boxes stacked on top and had to always be moving tools out of the way to get to what I wanted. I found a Snap On 3 bay stainless top for $3k and now have plenty of room.

I seriously considered and feel I would be happy with an ICON large lower cabinet. I used to make my living with my tools and had nothing but Snap On, Mac, Matco or SK tools. I don't anymore but I am in that box a lot and I need to depend on it. Get some quality and large quality used boxes are out there.
Never seen a snap on with the lengthy second drawer. Might be more common in mechanics circles.
These days they have pre-wired "Tech" drawer for all the electric chargers
Not mine but the box I was taking about.

Attachments

• s-l960.jpg
    s-l960.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 8

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Never seen a snap on with the lengthy second drawer. Might be more common in mechanics circles.
These days they have pre-wired "Tech" drawer for all the electric chargers
Not mine but the box I was taking about.
My Snap On is an older box but in like new shape. It is also a 3 bay instead of the pictured 2 bay box. I needed the 2 large drawers for the sockets, ratchets and extensions in one drawer and the standard and metric wrenches in the other. Even with all my room, in the 3 bay box, I still fill the left lower deep drawer with assorted cases containing large sets of assorted equipment.

You must be registered for see images attach

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks @someotherguy, @95burban, @Hipster, and @movietvet for the suggestions. I have been focusing primarily on FB Marketplace. The big boxes are few and far between, lots of decked out carts. I’m not opposed to spending more and then selling a hutch or top chest to recoup some costs.

The macsimizer is one I’ve seen a few times and it does kind of fit the bill. I used to see a Mac truck around from time to time but not so much anymore, Snappy is north of me but I could track it down to see if they have used ones. The scratch/dent HF is a great idea. I will keep an eye on that page for any deals.

One box I did find at Home Depot was their 72” rolling box. It has good reviews.

Husky tool box (LINK)

No wide second drawer though. Here’s a photo of what I have currently.
You must be registered for see images attach