Work Bench for a 1 Car Garage - Suggestions, Ideas, Critiques

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Maybe something like this would work. I actually have 4 of these. Dad buys them when they go on sale and gives me some.
They make a good gun rest when we go plinking, due too the foam on top.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got those brackets and Craftsman sawhorses; I love the Craftsman ones because they click together for storage. Got 4 of 'em in total right now holding my topper off the ground and I want at least 2 more, they're on sale all the time so I can get 1K pound capacity sawhorses for like $50, but I need to get of my ass and build the wood ones. I've got all the lumber and hardware I need, just no time or motivation.
Craftsman Sawhorse 1K Pound Capacity
I'm planning on going the "one-man's-trash-is-another's-treasure" approach for my workbench project. I've got a bunch of good hardwood pallets I got from work, so I'm going to section up and piece together a subframe of sorts with 2x4 legs and a thick plywood benchtop. Hopefully I'll have a pretty stout bench for less than $30 and maybe half a day's time

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sort of got the idea roughed in, I'm going to cut it a little shorter so it's going to wind up being 73.5 inches long, I'm not too sure how wide it'll wind up being but I'm guesstimating around 35 or 40" wide, was hoping to make great strides today and possibly get at least the table top done but the wind is ridiculous from all the weather we've had the past couple days.

I was looking at some of these pallets and honestly I could probably cut the centers out for 18" wide shelves, and I could make some pretty stout shelving out of these too! I just need the weather to l cooperate

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sort of got the idea roughed in, I'm going to cut it a little shorter so it's going to wind up being 73.5 inches long, I'm not too sure how wide it'll wind up being but I'm guesstimating around 35 or 40" wide, was hoping to make great strides today and possibly get at least the table top done but the wind is ridiculous from all the weather we've had the past couple days.

I was looking at some of these pallets and honestly I could probably cut the centers out for 18" wide shelves, and I could make some pretty stout shelving out of these too! I just need the weather to l cooperate
The one thing about pallet wood is that it's usually pretty dry and brittle so it cracks really easy. The nails are usually pretty tough to get out without destroying the wood you want.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
The one thing about pallet wood is that it's usually pretty dry and brittle so it cracks really easy. The nails are usually pretty tough to get out without destroying the wood you want.
Pallets are made out of many different varieties of wood. When I would get the little ones at a previous job, I would look for ones made from poplar (hardwood but light in weight) and red or white oak. These were quarter or half sized pallets that were based for cardboard displays. I use them in my building for things I don't want to stack on the floor.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pallets are made out of many different varieties of wood. When I would get the little ones at a previous job, I would look for ones made from poplar (hardwood but light in weight) and red or white oak. These were quarter or half sized pallets that were based for cardboard displays. I use them in my building for things I don't want to stack on the floor.
Should have phrased that better. MOST of the pallets, at least around here are basically junk wood. Lots of spruce and pine, so it dries out and cracks. The ones that come from overseas for machinery etc, those are usually a hardwood, and you can actually get some nice lumber out of them. We used to harvest the 2x's and 4x's out of them and kept them for special projects at one job. All depends on where they are made, one countries junk wood is anothers treasure.