Work Bench for a 1 Car Garage - Suggestions, Ideas, Critiques

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks! It was a custom house so I was able to get 11 foot 7” which is pretty good for an attached house in the city I agree! Have a hoist is a game changer for sure. Eventually I want to build a big shop at my acreage and instal a 2 post there. I just didn’t want a 2 post storing a car up at heights all winter with the kids in the garage etc. that’s why it’s a 4 post.

My old house that we sold had a much smaller garage so there all lots of ideas I posted here:

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks! It was a custom house so I was able to get 11 foot 7” which is pretty good for an attached house in the city I agree! Have a hoist is a game changer for sure. Eventually I want to build a big shop at my acreage and instal a 2 post there. I just didn’t want a 2 post storing a car up at heights all winter with the kids in the garage etc. that’s why it’s a 4 post.

My old house that we sold had a much smaller garage so there all lots of ideas I posted here:

I'm lucky I have 9'6" walls in mine, feels way less claustrophobic than 8' ones I had before, and can flip a sheet of plywood without smacking the roof! Lol
Gonna take a bit to look through your 42 pages, but I got nothing better to do today due to being shutdown for cold today.
Saw you mentioned that you were a construction worker, me too! so hopefully your staying warm today or are enjoying your couch or garage like me!!!! Lol

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Good ideas. Here are a few pics of workbenches and storage I’ve been building in my garage… rolling workbench that doubles as storage, flip up benches along the right side take up virtually no room when not in use. Storage loft with stairs. There are lots of things we can do to improve our garages. Mines a mess at the moment but it’s pretty functional.

Good to see you over here too Sean! Recognized the handle from GJ.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm lucky I have 9'6" walls in mine, feels way less claustrophobic than 8' ones I had before, and can flip a sheet of plywood without smacking the roof! Lol
Gonna take a bit to look through your 42 pages, but I got nothing better to do today due to being shutdown for cold today.
Saw you mentioned that you were a construction worker, me too! so hopefully your staying warm today or are enjoying your couch or garage like me!!!! Lol
Yup warm in my in fort Mac today. I’m safety for one of the oil plant owners so I’m pretty lucky lol.

Attachments

• IMG_3395.png
    IMG_3395.png
    181.3 KB · Views: 4

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And sorry @fancyTBI for the "derailment" of your thread. Just a couple of Canadian neighbors been friendly!! Lol

Did you get a start on your shelves yet?

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And sorry @fancyTBI for the "derailment" of your thread. Just a couple of Canadian neighbors been friendly!! Lol

Did you get a start on your shelves yet?
Oh I don’t mind, it’s good to catch up and make new friends. Haven’t started on these yet. I’m going to be working 6/12s until mid April after tax season wraps here in the US.

I have an updated design, but haven’t made any final tweaks. Once that’s done I’ll upload it. And I still need tools to get the job done.

I did pick up a 1/2” mid-torque Milwaukee impact. M18 Fuel and it’s nice. Figure I’ll get a drill and a hammer drill from them too. For a circular saw I’m going to get a corded Skil worm drive. Need to go to some estate sales once it gets warm and grab some saw horses or other tools that will help.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh I don’t mind, it’s good to catch up and make new friends. Haven’t started on these yet. I’m going to be working 6/12s until mid April after tax season wraps here in the US.

I have an updated design, but haven’t made any final tweaks. Once that’s done I’ll upload it. And I still need tools to get the job done.

I did pick up a 1/2” mid-torque Milwaukee impact. M18 Fuel and it’s nice. Figure I’ll get a drill and a hammer drill from them too. For a circular saw I’m going to get a corded Skil worm drive. Need to go to some estate sales once it gets warm and grab some saw horses or other tools that will help.
That's a LOT of hours to be working!!! I know, been there done that, and will soon be doing it again.

Milwaukee makes some great tools, the M18 line has really impressed me. The company I was at for 7yrs before I left went ALL IN on them. To the point that the batteries actually had the company name and logo on the stickers, from the factory. Not sure how much you have to spend to get that, but we unpacked boxes upon boxes of batteries and pallets of tools. And we were only 1 of dozens of sites that got them.

As for saw horses, don't be scared to make your own. It's not that hard. It will help you build your skills. I make them all the time at work. Can make heavy duty ones with 2x6 legs or lighter duty ones with 3/4" plywood legs. If you want, I can sketch out a drawing for you to use and post it up.