Wanting to lower a 2wd c1500 and looking for suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm really new to this lowering the suspension thing. I know it's been around for years, I just don't know enough to make the leap without some guidance. I do all my own work (mechanical and body), so I'd like to do this myself. I also know there's several ways to skin a cat on lowering. I'd like to keep it simple, less mods the better.

Suggestions and pics that might be close to what I want would be helpful.

I have a 95 2wd stepside. I purchased this truck 12 yrs ago with the stance you see in the pic. To me, it appears the rear has been dropped 2" already as it has a level stance.

Planning to start on the body and paint in the next 6 months and planning to add the side skirts that was on the Choo Choo packages for that low, sporty aggressive stance with a rake. Not into the slammed and c-notch look..sorry

Here's were I'm stuck on 2 ways to skin that cat..lol

1) I Spoke with Belltech and was suggested a 3/4 drop kit #687ND @ $943 which has a 2" drop spindle and 1" drop spring for the front. I was advised that the drop spindles is a better way to go as it won't alter the geometry of the other front suspension parts that bolt on

or

2) A local friend suggested a 3/4 drop. Using Belltech 23452, a 3" drop spring up front, and 4" lowering rear

Belltech advised me that using a 3" drop spring over the 2" drop spindles will alter the front creating more work as the other front suspensions parts won't plug and play.

Does anyone have any of these 2 set-ups, how do you like, is there anything you'd done different, pro's and cons. I'd like not to have to break open the piggy bank if not needed

Thanks in advance..pics welcome

Attachments

• 95 C1500-1.jpeg
    95 C1500-1.jpeg
    336.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 95 C1500-2.jpeg
    95 C1500-2.jpeg
    344.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's a sharp looking steppy....nice.
Definitely looks like the rear has been dropped the 2" as you stated.
I went with the Belltech 4/6 kit in September. I did the full meal deal as I knew I would end up there eventually anyway. Are you sure you don't want to go that route or are you dead set on a 3/4?

If you are not aware, the 15" wheels don't play nice with the lowered spindles, and you will have to trim the control arms unless you up the wheel size, I went 17".

I personally wouldn't go with just a 3" spring, would probably be pretty wonky handling wise.

If it were my truck, and I only wanted to go 3/4, it would be the 2" spindles and 1" spring up front and shackles/hangers in the rear. But you already have shackles (presumably) so you would just need the hangers. But be aware, the front hangers are a nightmare to replace with dropped ones.

If you do want to do the 4/6 (and you know you do!!!) You would have to grab some stock style hangers or you would have a 8" drop in the rear.

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are not aware, the 15" wheels don't play nice with the lowered spindles, and you will have to trim the control arms unless you up the wheel size, I went 17".

I personally wouldn't go with just a 3" spring, would probably be pretty wonky handling wise.

I kinda figured I'd hit with 15's but wasn't 100% sure..thanks

Was wanting to stay with the 15's honestly. I recently saw one with a 3/5 drop. Has 255/60R15 x 8 up front and 295/50R15 x 10 on the rear.

Also has 3" drop springs (belltech) and 4" lower leaf spring with 1" drop shackles with Belltech Nitro Drop 2 shocks all around. No c-notch. I was told that this truck with the 3" drop springs rode better than his other truck which has the 2" drop spindles and 1" drop spring.

Is anyone else running 3" drop springs with 15's ?

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I kinda figured I'd hit with 15's but wasn't 100% sure..thanks

Was wanting to stay with the 15's honestly. I recently saw one with a 3/5 drop. Has 255/60R15 x 8 up front and 295/50R15 x 10 on the rear.

Also has 3" drop springs (belltech) and 4" lower leaf spring with 1" drop shackles with Belltech Nitro Drop 2 shocks all around. No c-notch. I was told that this truck with the 3" drop springs rode better than his other truck which has the 2" drop spindles and 1" drop spring.

Is anyone else running 3" drop springs with 15's ?
You can keep the 15's, just requires hitting the control arms with a grinder and trimming them a bit, it's no big deal.
I would like to think that the less spring you have available, the hasher the ride.

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Imo get the react drop spindle and a 4/6 with a flip kit. If, like me, you don't want a 4/6 drop then use longer shocks in front and, if you're keeping the leafs, lift shackles in the rear.

I tried to just do a standard 2/4 drop but added leaf helpers and just couldn't get it low enough without a flip. I'm no suspension expert, but I'm also pretty sure you want as much shock travel as you can get.

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going to assume your wheels are of car persuasion having a 5x4 3/4 bolt pattern, and you've used adapters to mount them? If so, find a drop spindle that won't push the wheels farther outward. You may find that the adapter provides enough distance for the wheel where you don't have to do any LCA butchery

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I'm going to assume your wheels are of car persuasion having a 5x4 1/2 bolt pattern, and you've used adapters to mount them? If so, find a drop spindle that won't push the wheels farther outward. You may find that the adapter provides enough distance for the wheel where you don't have to do any LCA butchery
There are aftermarket Rally wheels available for the 5 on 5 pattern, that may be what is on OP's truck. The OEM GM Rally wheels are 5 on 4 3/4, as that's what the Chevy cars they were on are set up for(Camaro/Corvette/Chevelle etc.).