Lowering a 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BCChevyZ71

Reaction score
I used the belltech drop keys I achieved 3" of drop, but my adjusters are basically backed right out. There is a fella on YouTube who achieved 5" front without swapping to coilovers. I debated the coilovers but it specifically says they could potentially blow out the upper shock mounts without further modification. I'm not at all willing to take that chance so I opted out and if I wanna go lower I'm just gonna do what this guy did.
**I stand corrected same guy same truck this is pre coilover swap anyway I'd opt out of the coilovers that's just me**

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Lou32

Reaction score
Are there any other options to lowering the front of aa 4x4 other than drop keys?

I'd really like to do a 4/6 or 5/7 drop. I recently purchased a 97 Tahoe 2 door that's 4x4. I had a nbs denali that I lowered but it doesn't look like they make alot for the obs chassis
I heard if you cut the torsion bars in two with a cutting torch will work, cheap too.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From the previous posts it sounds like the best way to do it is to use 99-06 drop spindle and the other parts from the 99-06 to make it work. 2” from the knuckle and 3” from lowering keys is the best option I think. You will just need to research the swap to the newer spindle and follow that but with the lowering knuckle instead of stock.

newby96

Reaction score
From the previous posts it sounds like the best way to do it is to use 99-06 drop spindle and the other parts from the 99-06 to make it work. 2” from the knuckle and 3” from lowering keys is the best option I think. You will just need to research the swap to the newer spindle and follow that but with the lowering knuckle instead of stock.

Yes, that is what i'm doing. Got spindles from a 06 gmt800(or lowered spindles). Lower control arm from a 2000 2500, you have to ream out the upper ball joint in the spindle to fit the stock upper control arm of the GMT 400 truck. The lower control arm will fit no mounting mods. Then you just have to run the GMT800 brakes. The GMT400 axles will work if you discard the thin metal ring that is closes to the spindle. Or use the GMT800 axles if you have them too.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, that is what i'm doing. Got spindles from a 06 gmt800(or lowered spindles). Lower control arm from a 2000 2500, you have to ream out the upper ball joint in the spindle to fit the stock upper control arm of the GMT 400 truck. The lower control arm will fit no mounting mods. Then you just have to run the GMT800 brakes. The GMT400 axles will work if you discard the thin metal ring that is closes to the spindle. Or use the GMT800 axles if you have them too.

That’s awesome keep me posted on your progress please? Send a message if you don’t mind

Jimmy D

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That’s awesome keep me posted on your progress please? Send a message if you don’t min
I don't know if it has been mentioned but for those who only want a small drop on their 4wd, you can remove those 2" spacers over the rear axle then crank down the front torsion bars for that small drop.
l followed that Power Nation lowered AWD build and think it was awesome. I pondered the same mods but I didn't have a shortbed truck at the time.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know if it has been mentioned but for those who only want a small drop on their 4wd, you can remove those 2" spacers over the rear axle then crank down the front torsion bars for that small drop.
l followed that Power Nation lowered AWD build and think it was awesome. I pondered the same mods but I didn't have a shortbed truck at the time.

Those blocks are a Fordism, GM didn't use them.