Wanted: Daily driver upgrades/mods suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grandpa_truck

Reaction score
My truck will get me back and forth to our farm where I’ll swap out for the tractor or service truck and also run around town for errands.
So it’ll be a daily driver. Question is what would you do to make it a reliable / efficient daily. I’ve already done the basics, thermostat, plugs, brakes, AC and a heat working(R12 system charged with EnviroSafe blows iceberg cold) new W/S wiper motor. Eventually I’d like to replace the exhaust, truck sounds good now but about the only thing on the truck with major rust is the exhaust. So let’s hear it. I’m not looking to spend a mint on it but I don’t mind throwing a little money at it to make me more comfortable and confident
1988 C1500 350TBI

Attachments

• IMG_4019.jpeg
    IMG_4019.jpeg
    800.1 KB · Views: 17

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steering, suspension, and brakes. Safety items FIRST.

An '88 regular-cab 1500 probably has the horrible JN3 brake system. Weak front brakes, TERRIBLE rear brakes, weak power booster, and small master cylinder. Yeah, it "works" but not real well. Make absolutely sure the park brake cables work properly and that you use the park brake frequently.

Everything rubber is suspect and needs examination: Tires, brake hoses, belts and coolant hoses, suspension bushings, sway-bar mounts and end-links, cab mounts (as specified previously) and so forth. The control arm bushings in particular are generally ignored until they're well past the point of failure and into tire-wearing, ill-steering disasters.

Ball joints, tie rod ends, STEERING GEAR RAG JOINT, idler arm, Pitman arm, etc.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

An '88 regular-cab 1500 probably has the horrible JN3 brake system. Weak front brakes, TERRIBLE rear brakes, weak power booster, and small master cylinder. Yeah, it "works" but not real well. Make absolutely sure the park brake cables work properly and that you use the park brake frequently.

Everything rubber is suspect and needs examination: Tires, brake hoses, belts and coolant hoses, suspension bushings, sway-bar mounts and end-links, cab mounts (as specified previously) and so forth. The control arm bushings in particular are generally ignored until they're well past the point of failure and into tire-wearing, ill-steering disasters.

This sounds like my build.

Grandpa_truck

Reaction score

I covered most of that when I did the lift kit, front brakes upgraded to 92 and later style rotor and hub assy. Tire rods and ball joints also done at time of lift. Brakes still suck but it stops well just a little more travel in pedal than a new truck. Cab mounts are on order as well. Thanks for the detailed list. I’ll start addressing those other items soon