First swap: keeping TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Choto

Reaction score
First post here after following for about a year, and this group is filled with knowledge. Yes, I have searched threads and Google. This is my first swap and I want to keep TBI.

1991 K1500 350/700r4 290k miles with a bottom end knock per 2 mechanics. I have already pulled the motor and want to either rebuild or go crate with Blueprint 350 cruiser. My goal is to keep TBI and return to daily driving. Please help me determine a setup with a long block and tuning.

I have emailed Harris and Dynamic for EBL2, currently waiting on response.

For rebuild the shops suggest roller cam, I know this will require a new tune. Do I need to be concerned about a rebuilt motor on a block with that many miles? Or I can splurge on a new block with modest power and safely run 87. Blueprint advertises 341/371, pushing the limits of stock TBI. Can I use the Blueprint with a good tune on stock (or lightly modified) TBI? Can I expect to bolt up my intake and accessories as the stock 350? I know the distributor will need to match roller cam. What about water pump rotation, flex plate, sensors, etc?

This was a lot of info, but I think it’s thorough. Thank you for your help with my first swap!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have emailed Harris and Dynamic for EBL2, currently waiting on response.
Say away for Harris and go with the EBL!

For rebuild the shops suggest roller cam, I know this will require a new tune.
Good choice and, probably.

Can I use the Blueprint with a good tune on stock (or lightly modified) TBI?
Yep, a higher pressure FPR spring and maybe bore it out to 46mm (to achieve 650 CFM)

Can I expect to bolt up my intake and accessories as the stock 350?
Which heads are you using? They need to be drilled for the TBI intake bolt pattern.

I know the distributor will need to match roller cam.
Maybe just a different melonized gear.

What about water pump rotation, flex plate, sensors, etc?
Everything should work fine if you're using the right heads and the block is for TBI with the bypass (3 holes on the passenger side) for the water pump

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Rebuild the block that you have as long as it passes the required checks. It has been thermally cycled and is a better candidate for rebuild than a new casting. If you want to go with a Blueprint engine it will also work.