1995 K1500 LS swap or TBI Rebuild + Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IndexOf0

Reaction score
I need some general advice and opinions. I have a 1995 K1500 with a TBI 350 in it that oil fouls cylinder 6 quite often. I’m thinking of either tearing the engine down to the short-block, inspecting the cylinders, replacing the heads, cam, lifters and putting in a timing set and putting it back together or rebuilding it depending on what I find. The other option is to do an LS swap. What would you do say you had a $3000 budget and this is a daily driver?

Exhaust: The previous owner deleted the cat and installed headers and dual exhaust with an h-pipe for the O2 sensor location. Montana is a non emissions state, but I’ve since moved to Washington. For any exhaust work to be done I need a cat again (sigh). Has anyone had any luck with aftermarket down pipes with a cat and cat back dual exhaust systems? What have you used? Thank you.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LS swap is going to put that vehicle out-of-commission for a long time in terms of "Daily Driver".

Fix what you have.

How is the oil getting into the combustion chamber? Valve guides/valve stem seals? Rings? Failed intake gasket?

What "headers" do you have? Shortys, I assume.
This "Y" pipe was well-regarded, but doesn't seem to apply to '95.
www.amazon.com/dp/B0040Z9V3S/?coliid=I2HVLI87FT3CQH&colid=2VLYZKC3HBBDO&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
An LS swap would provide a number of "improvements" but also require a lot of external changes as the 95 would not the ECM required to run the LS ignition and fuel injection system.

A full rebuild takes a fair amount of time and depending on your capabilities and knowledge of a "good" local machine/rebuild shop can be expensive with unknown results.

95 vintage TBI engines are getting harder to find but you may want to check around for a reasonably low milage used engine that you can swap in. You could use your current engine for any external parts that you need.

There are also reman engine builders but there reputations are inconsistant.

IndexOf0

Reaction score
LS swap is going to put that vehicle out-of-commission for a long time in terms of "Daily Driver".

Fix what you have.

How is the oil getting into the combustion chamber? Valve guides/valve stem seals? Rings? Failed intake gasket?

www.amazon.com/dp/B0040Z9V3S/?coliid=I2HVLI87FT3CQH&colid=2VLYZKC3HBBDO&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

It is my current daily driver, but I do have a 1979 Cutlass with a 455 I wouldn’t mind driving as my daily again.

I’m not entirely sure how the oil is getting in. It doesn’t puff on start up and smokes the worst when you are using engine braking or when you floor it and then let off. The compression test I did resulted in 15% variance between all cylinders so I’m leaning on a stick oil control ring. When I changed the intake gaskets I found a lot of sludge in the lifters valley. Based on that information, what are you thinking could be the culprit?

IndexOf0

Reaction score

Fix what you have.

I do have shorty headers. That y pipe looks like it may work.

IndexOf0

Reaction score
An LS swap would provide a number of "improvements" but also require a lot of external changes as the 95 would not the ECM required to run the LS ignition and fuel injection system.

A full rebuild takes a fair amount of time and depending on your capabilities and knowledge of a "good" local machine/rebuild shop can be expensive with unknown results.

95 vintage TBI engines are getting harder to find but you may want to check around for a reasonably low milage used engine that you can swap in. You could use your current engine for any external parts that you need.

There are also reman engine builders but there reputations are inconsistant.
I’m fairly capable and can assemble the engine myself and I do know of a good machine shop in my area. If I’m taking the time to take the engine out, I would rather go through it and do some much needed power upgrades to make the engine a little more fun. There are quite a few junkyard TBI 350’s in my area. It could be an option, but I don’t think my 350 is at the point of being replaced just yet. The compression test I did yielded good results so I may just be able to freshen it up with some upgrades but I won’t know for sure until I take it apart.

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are going to tear it down to the short block go a little further and tear it down completely. Have the block checked and if needed bored oversize then rebuild from there. If you don't address the cylinder bores you probably are not going to see much imrpvoement. If you are going to spend the money on new heads and other performance upgrades the piston-bore interface needs to be up to the task.