FastOrange Build Thread: 1989 4x4 StepSide

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I kinda look at it as target on your back. Just gives the cops one more excuse to roust ya.
Some of the 'experienced' drivers I've seen should have them permanently on their vehicles.

:lol:

thing is, im not one of those drivers, yea i fool around a little bit, but 99% of the time i follow the speed limit, always signal, etc.

Ive never gotten a ticket other then this stupid "N" one the other day, really ticks me off, how can i go from driving a truck that was rusting into two, and going through a bunch of roadblocks too driving a pretty decent truck and getting an inspection? beats me

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
It's a graduated licensing program. Absolute newbies get an 'L' sticker to put on the rear of the vehicle. It's about 4" square. Red. Severly restricted driving privelidges. Not to sure of what those are, but it's something like, no more than 2 passengers, & one of those people have to be over 21(?) with a valid driver's license. No driving after a certain hour at night, & no freeway driving. Restricted to certain speed limits.
After a certain amount of time, & (I think) a road test, some restrictions are lifted, but the amount of passengers can't be more than 3, & you can drive on your own, including on the freeway. The 'N' has to be displayed for a minimum of 2 years. Then another test, & some 'fees' to the Government.
There is a bit more to it than this. I had a license WAY before all this bueracracy was implimented.
What gets me though, is that some of the stupidest, most dangerous stunts that I see happening in traffic is done by the driver's with an 'N'. (Well that, & people that are not from here, and drive like they are still back in their 3rd. world country.) Passing on the right, lane changes with no signals, unsafe lane changes (cutting others off) speeding in residential areas. Arrogant attitudes. Apparently, if there is one infraction that occurs while driving under the 'N' restrictions, the person has to start all over again.
I could be wrong about some of the restrictions & requirements, but you get the idea.
A lot different from the day of writing a driving test (multiple choice), then going for a six block drive with an inspector, & if you got no more than 3 things wrong, boom, you're a 'Driver'!

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
It's a graduated licensing program. Absolute newbies get an 'L' sticker to put on the rear of the vehicle. It's about 4" square. Red. Severly restricted driving privelidges. Not to sure of what those are, but it's something like, no more than 2 passengers, & one of those people have to be over 21(?) with a valid driver's license. No driving after a certain hour at night, & no freeway driving. Restricted to certain speed limits.
After a certain amount of time, & (I think) a road test, some restrictions are lifted, but the amount of passengers can't be more than 3, & you can drive on your own, including on the freeway. The 'N' has to be displayed for a minimum of 2 years. Then another test, & some 'fees' to the Government.
There is a bit more to it than this. I had a license WAY before all this bueracracy was implimented.
What gets me though, is that some of the stupidest, most dangerous stunts that I see happening in traffic is done by the driver's with an 'N'. (Well that, & people that are not from here, and drive like they are still back in their 3rd. world country.) Passing on the right, lane changes with no signals, unsafe lane changes (cutting others off) speeding in residential areas. Arrogant attitudes. Apparently, if there is one infraction that occurs while driving under the 'N' restrictions, the person has to start all over again.
I could be wrong about some of the restrictions & requirements, but you get the idea.
A lot different from the day of writing a driving test (multiple choice), then going for a six block drive with an inspector, & if you got no more than 3 things wrong, boom, you're a 'Driver'!

here is it in a nutshell:

L:
Must display "L"
must have someone with you thats had thier license for 10 years
no driving after 12am
have it for 1 year

N:
Only allowed 1 non-family member
must display N
nothing in your system
2 years

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
.05 = 24hr. suspension. Vehicle impounded. .08 = 90 day license suspension, right there on the side of the road. Vehicle impounded for the same length of time.
Big kafuffle about that right now, due to lack of legal representation for the person charged, and the RCMP bsically behaving as judge & jury with no recourse for the 90 days. Then the impound fees, lawyer & court costs when you do finally get to court. Figure almost $10,000 by the time it's over, even if you are found innocent.
Lot of the pubs, & restaurants are running shuttle-van services, but now the insurance co. (we have ONE! and it's a government owned monopoly) is giving those running the shuttles grief over liability insurance, or being an un-licensed taxi service.
I can't wait to vote these MF'ers out!