Death Dually

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I'm curious about your cam... what were the specs on it? I'd love to do a cam because I have to tear down my top end soon to fix a coolant leak. Thinking a mild cam and fresh timing set might be a good idea as long as my compression test comes back healthy (175k miles on the old girl) I want to find one that opens up the bottom end a bit but won't stress the rest of the valvetrain out too much and won't require anything more than a tune to make it run right. I think Christian Steffen has the cam I need.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I'm curious about your cam... what were the specs on it? I'd love to do a cam because I have to tear down my top end soon to fix a coolant leak. Thinking a mild cam and fresh timing set might be a good idea as long as my compression test comes back healthy (175k miles on the old girl) I want to find one that opens up the bottom end a bit but won't stress the rest of the valvetrain out too much and won't require anything more than a tune to make it run right. I think Christian Steffen has the cam I need.

I really should man up and dyno mine so I could give you some idea of where it makes peak torque. The xr264hr would probably be another good option. Hopefully your bottom end is good, it would probably be worth having an oil analysis done along with the compression test. It would suck to go through the work of a cam swap to have the bearings go shortly after.

I don't think you'll regret a cam swap with a tune at all.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I checked out a couple of mild cams on comp cams website last night. They all said that you have to change the rocker arms to an adjustable style? Does anyone make a cam that is just a stock replacedment with no other mods required? This truck is my daily driver so I don't need to go crazy but I could really use some extra towing power for the mountain passes we have around here. I'll be interested to see how much a straight through muffler, cat delete, and 3" tail pipe gain me.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I checked out a couple of mild cams on comp cams website last night. They all said that you have to change the rocker arms to an adjustable style? Does anyone make a cam that is just a stock replacedment with no other mods required? This truck is my daily driver so I don't need to go crazy but I could really use some extra towing power for the mountain passes we have around here. I'll be interested to see how much a straight through muffler, cat delete, and 3" tail pipe gain me.

Not that I'm aware of, but really the adjustable rocker kit isn't going to give you any issues. The only thing I would recommend is running short poly-locks (they fit under the valve covers), I had issues with crimp style lock nuts working loose. It does suck that it's more money you have to spend, but then you know everything is set correctly.

I'm sure the exhaust stuff will help some, but really you'll want to do a tune more than anything. That'll make a bigger difference than the exhaust mods. Then if you're going to do a tune, you might as well have a cam to compliment that haha its a slippery slope as to where to stop.