Dad's '98 Resto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Its been a few days since I've been on here, but I haven't been sitting around. Finished bolting the bed and rear bumper back up last week. I have to get the screws to hold the filler neck to the bed and a new gas cap and its good, but other than that, it runs!! Fired right up for me with no leaks anywhere. The other day though, I went out to the barn and the brand new battery was completely dead. Looked around and found a ground wire from the trailer wiring harness that wasn't grounded. Charged the truck up and I'm in business. Drove it a few miles today to my mother's place and then home and it ran great. I noticed my bouncing fuel gauge is fixed too, I thought it was the stepper motor in the cluster. As soon as I got home I backed it in the barn and got it situated so I can start tearing into the front end this week. Took a few photos while I was out today.

Back of the truck looks brand new with the rust free '97 tailgate and bumper lol. The hitch doesn't look bad either now.

You must be registered for see images attach

Just a bone stock interior for the most part. Swapped in a brand new OEM CD player a few years back, but besides that its stock. Eventually when the exterior is completely done, I'll start to focus on new carpet and other small pieces inside.

Still doesn't look very pretty, but she isn't spraying gas everywhere anymore. As soon as I got in the driver seat I had a huge grin on my face.

Back into the barn lol

As you can see, it looks terrible. Over 150,000 miles of Northern Michigan weather in there lol. My dad decided to spray the rotors and calipers red for god knows what reason. Seeing as he passed away almost 7 years ago, I'm pretty sure its time these things are replaced.

And now for a question. How do I tell what lower control arms I have? CAST or STAMPED? I've heard it makes a difference for what ball joint I go with.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Had the day off of work today so I threw on the new pitman arm. Took several hours total. I didn't realize the steering box was so heavy and that was what took so long, wrestling that damn thing around.

BerHntr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Biggershaft is correct. I just got done doing this myself. I used ACDelco part number 45D2232.

Also kudos for taking the box out to change the Pitman arm, i fought mine but got it done with the box in place

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
Spent a little time in the barn tonight. Pulled all of the bed bolts out and surprisingly none of them snapped. Since its a northern Michigan truck, I'm almost amazed. Also pulled what seemed light a mile worth of wire out from underneath. It was running from the rear taillight all the way into the engine bay. My dad ran it years ago for something, what it was I have no idea lol.

Plan on pulling the bed tomorrow with a buddy's engine hoist. Next will be to clean the frame up and try some Chassis Saver on it. I'm waiting on my new fuel lines from Lines To Go and then I'll order a new fuel tank, sending unit, tank support, and fuel filler neck along with some of the mounting hardware.

What's the green stuff?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Not really any updates, BUT......I just finished ordering some new parts.

-Idler arm
-Idle Air Control
-Lower Ball Joints
-Sway Bar End Links
-Gas Cap
-Mounting Screws for Filler Pipe

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Still working on the truck, currently changing the idler arm.

Now that photobucket ****** everyone, I'm in the process of transferring 1,700 photos over to a different site. Was thinking about Flickr, but I'm not sure yet. Once I'm done with the photo transfer, hopefully I'll be able to go through my entire thread and update the IMG codes.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Still working on the truck, currently changing the idler arm.

Now that photobucket ****** everyone, I'm in the process of transferring 1,700 photos over to a different site. Was thinking about Flickr, but I'm not sure yet. Once I'm done with the photo transfer, hopefully I'll be able to go through my entire thread and update the IMG codes.
You should try using Imgur. I haven't had any issues with them since I switched over from Photobucket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk