1994 4l60e doesn’t like to grab 3rd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RickA

Reaction score
Hey guys new here! I am going to try my best to describe this issue. I have a 1994 model Chevy. The trans failed so I replaced it with a trans from a friend that was suppose to be good (truck was parked due to rust) I got the swap done and drove the truck to town which skipped 2nd. I had 1-3-4. This transmission sat for a few years and I figured it would fix itself. The truck ended up shifting into 2nd and never attempting 3rd. I replaced both A and B shift solenoids and now I have smooth shifts into 1-2 and if it does try for 3 it seems like a neautral gear. I can’t believe the bands would have broke since I just used these gears flawlessly before it got stuck. I went over and checked all grounds and found quite a few needing repair but it did not cure my shift problem. I am considering replacing the TCC and EPC from my old trans but have read maybe an issue in the servo. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Also I cannot skip 3rd and get into OD.

RickA

Reaction score
Hey guys new here! I am going to try my best to describe this issue. I have a 1994 model Chevy. The trans failed so I replaced it with a trans from a friend that was suppose to be good (truck was parked due to rust) I got the swap done and drove the truck to town which skipped 2nd. I had 1-3-4. This transmission sat for a few years and I figured it would fix itself. The truck ended up shifting into 2nd and never attempting 3rd. I replaced both A and B shift solenoids and now I have smooth shifts into 1-2 and if it does try for 3 it seems like a neautral gear. I can’t believe the bands would have broke since I just used these gears flawlessly before it got stuck. I went over and checked all grounds and found quite a few needing repair but it did not cure my shift problem. I am considering replacing the TCC and EPC from my old trans but have read maybe an issue in the servo. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Both trucks were 1994 but my new(used) transmission had different shift solenoids but i was still able to install my new ones with improvement to shifting but will not take 3-4 gear.
UPDATE: I tried to drive truck with trans unplugged. Everyone says it will force 3rd gear and the truck DOES move with it unplugged but in my opinion it seems much more like it is in 2nd gear not 3rd.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both trucks were 1994 but my new(used) transmission had different shift solenoids but i was still able to install my new ones with improvement to shifting but will not take 3-4 gear.

UPDATE: I tried to drive truck with trans unplugged. Everyone says it will force 3rd gear and the truck DOES move with it unplugged but in my opinion it seems much more like it is in 2nd gear not 3rd.

Try moving the shifter into manual 2nd gear then upshift to 3rd with the transmission wiring harness unplugged..If you're able to upshift to 3rd manually, the 3-4 pack is healthy but if you 'false neutral' after throwing it into D3 or Drive, it's shot and transmission needs to come out for overhaul.

RickA

Reaction score
Try moving the shifter into manual 2nd gear then upshift to 3rd with the transmission wiring harness unplugged..If you're able to upshift to 3rd manually, the 3-4 pack is healthy but if you 'false neutral' after throwing it into D3 or Drive, it's shot and transmission needs to come out for overhaul.
With transmission unplugged the truck still wants to go 1-2-3 but hard shifts and doesn’t grab third. When plugged in 1-2 works perfect shifts smooth but goes to shift into 3rd and dead. But if I tap the gas at idle RPM it does lurch a little like it wants to grab. I hope it’s external because I just used all gears 75 miles ago.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With transmission unplugged the truck still wants to go 1-2-3 but hard shifts and doesn’t grab third. When plugged in 1-2 works perfect shifts smooth but goes to shift into 3rd and dead. But if I tap the gas at idle RPM it does lurch a little like it wants to grab. I hope it’s external because I just used all gears 75 miles ago.
Time to yank it out for overhaul...If it's still not wanting to shift into 3rd and is basically neutral upon a manual 2-3 upshift, that 3-4 clutch pack is done.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is 1100 fair for complete rebuild? Also is it safe to drive in 2nd for now shorter drives. Thanks for info
The price depends on exactly what they will be doing to the unit; see if you can find out what parts will be replaced and procedures completed. But it sounds a bit low for a proper/complete overhaul...My 4L60Es start at $1850.00 for the early-mid 90s units and go up from there but I replace the filter, all gaskets, seals, o-rings, clutches, steels, band, bushings, bonded apply pistons, both one way clutch assemblies, pump internals, Transgo shift kit, vette servo, all electronics and harness, new torque converter, heat treated sun shell. Pump and reverse input drum are both machined (they all need it).

I wouldn't drive it since you will be stressing the engine if you have to go any more than 20-25 mph or so but it's up to you.