Dad's '98 Resto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Appreciate it, thanks guys. I've never had the bed off before so there are some things I'm just now noticing.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Started applying Chassis Saver this afternoon. I decided to go with Satin Black so it looks close to factory. I didn't really want a glossy finish. It covers pretty well. How many coats would you guys recommend?

You must be registered for see images attach

Jeff Davis

Reaction score
My dad bought his first ever "new vehicle off the lot" when he was 54 years old. A 98 1500 Silverado Ext. Cab. When 2007 rolled around, he only had 61,000 miles on it and he decided to buy an 07 model. He drove the new one home, drove the 98 to my house and handed me the keys and the title! Mine too will be a permanent member of the family. Glad you are keeping yours, too.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Worked on the truck for awhile today. I finished most of the frame up, there are still a few areas I need to touch up. I have to coat the rear axle and leaf springs still, but it looks a lot better than it did.

Had some goodies show up today

Swapped over the license plate light harness to my new bumper. It still has some Alabama dirt on it, but its a lot more solid than the original.

Got all the fuel lines layed out. Began pulling the lines out from under the truck so I'm hoping I can get that taken care of in the next few days.

New fuel tank and sending unit arrived today. I'm pretty sure the tank already has a coating to prevent rust so I don't need to do anything. Its going to be a summer truck now anyway. I still have to order the filler neck and tank support from LMC so that will be next.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Folded up the back seat and found my dad's old sun visor from the 80's. I remember seeing this thing when I was a kid lol.

The 14 bolt in all of its beefiness.......and rustiness lol. I have to coat the axle and leafs with Chassis Saver once it warms up again. The temperature has been all over the place lately.

I was able to get the spare tire to release and I couldn't believe it. I still have to coat the cross member and then look for a replacement wheel and new tire.

Spent some time wiring up the updated connector for the fuel pump and sending unit.

Got bored so I cleaned up the brake lines a bit. They look pretty good for being so old.

Doesn't look like very much right now

Last edited:

Dubs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
excellent job so far. I remember those sun visors from when I was a kid. My Grandpa rocked one on his old Dodge 100

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Worked out in the barn for a couple of hours tonight. I finished up coating the rear axle and leaf springs and began pulled the rest of the fuel lines. Don't pay any attention to the drums and backing plates. I plan on eventually buying brand new parts as I didn't feel like coating them now.

Hopefully I'll be able to get them out tomorrow and began installing the new ones. I still have to order the gas tank support aand fuel filler neck and I'll be able to start reassembly.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Got the fuel lines ran tonight after a lot of swearing and beer. I'd say they're in a lot better shape than the originals. Only mistake I made was tightening them down before I got them in the position I wanted them. Had to loosen everything and re tighten it later.