Dad's '98 Resto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Haven't taken any more photos lately, but I haven't been working on the truck as much as I should be.

So far, I've got the caliper and rotor removed on the passenger side and that's about it lol. At the moment I'm attempting to get the bolts from the wheel hub out of the steering knuckle. I even bought a new Milwaukee M18 Fuel impact and that can't even break them loose. I may have to just drill the bolts out.

Any ideas on how to remove them the easiest way? And where I can find new bolts.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Haven't taken any more photos lately, but I haven't been working on the truck as much as I should be.

So far, I've got the caliper and rotor removed on the passenger side and that's about it lol. At the moment I'm attempting to get the bolts from the wheel hub out of the steering knuckle. I even bought a new Milwaukee M18 Fuel impact and that can't even break them loose. I may have to just drill the bolts out.

Any ideas on how to remove them the easiest way? And where I can find new bolts.
I know this is going to sound stupid, but was the battery on the impact fully charged when you tried breaking it loose? The reason I'm asking is beacuse I bought a 1/4" Makita impact driver and tried breaking loose some seized bolts during a header install (not on the Suburban sadly, I was helping with installing some BBK LT headers for my brother) and it didn't work. I charged the battery, went back to break em loose and the impact broke the bolts loose with ease.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Yep the battery is fully charged. There was smoke coming from the bolts they were getting so hot. The end of the socket ended up burning my hand. I think the bolts are just seized up. I'm not sure what my options are besides drilling the bolts out. I've sprayed a lot of PB Blast on them and let it sit for close to a week.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Get the knuckle around the bolts cherry red with a torch then impact **** out of it. If that dont work its probably time to drill or get a bigger impact.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
The impact is rated at breaking loose bolts up to 1,100 ft lbs so I think it's powerful enough. The bolts are stripped now though. The impact just spins. Drilling the bolts out is my only option it seems. So now I have to spend a few hours trying to get them drilled out.

Last edited:

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
When I attempted to remove 2 of the bolts on the hub of my truck to replace the abs sensors. I stripped some. I had a shop drill and order new bolts.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
When I attempted to remove 2 of the bolts on the hub of my truck to replace the abs sensors. I stripped some. I had a shop drill and order new bolts.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Where did you order the new bolts from?

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Haven't been working on the truck lately, been more busy finishing up the ceiling in the barn to keep the heat inside during the winter. I should be able to start focusing on the truck again. At this point, pretty much everything is pulled out on the passenger side. The LCA bolts are giving me hell currently, seems like they area seized inside the bushings.

You must be registered for see images attach

Put a few photos together I found in a box.