Dad's '98 Resto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's the plan lol. I remember the day I first saw it pull into the driveway. It will be finished in my dad's memory.

Borrowed a buddy's engine hoist and pulled the bed tonight. Wasn't too difficult except my dad had messed around with the trailer wiring harness and attached a ground wire to the frame that I couldn't see. After that it was easy.

You must be registered for see images attach

I vaccumed the dirt and rust off the frame after I took the photo. It didn't clean up bad. I chipped away at the rust on the frame and found the metal under it to be in good shape. Going to pick up some chassis saver later this week.

There is no better feeling ! I lost my son this past November and for the last couple of years he was in my care after a motorcycle accident. Our 98 started out with me and then was handed off to him.. He had lots of plans for different things he wanted to do to it, and he was second to none when it came to building cars or trucks. As he was incapacitated and in my care I started the resurrection of our old 98 in hopes he would recover and it would be a huge surprise to him to find all of his plans for it had been done. He never recovered and lost the battle Nov 8 , 2017. So the feeling you will get from that will be priceless and you will have your dad close to your heart and with you every day. So by all means enjoy your project and each step you take on it think of your dad and what you had with him .
I never open the garage and see Old Blue that I don't have a moment that I don't remember or think about my son or something we done together from the time he was a little guy to a grown man, we were always in the garage together with hot rods or projects . Enjoy and keep your dad alive in your heart and mind.

Last edited:

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Thank you and I'm sorry for your loss.

That is the one thing I love about this truck, its not just a project but it is a story. I was 13 when my dad pulled in the driveway with it. Every part of my teenage years on up involved this truck being in my life in some way. The sense of satisfaction I get when I drive it feels great so I can't wait to get it cleaned up and driveable again.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you and I'm sorry for your loss.

That is the one thing I love about this truck, its not just a project but it is a story. I was 13 when my dad pulled in the driveway with it. Every part of my teenage years on up involved this truck being in my life in some way. The sense of satisfaction I get when I drive it feels great so I can't wait to get it cleaned up and driveable again.
It is nice to have the feeling that some how they may know that. It brings me comfort.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Damn I've been slacking on this.

Finally lost my patience trying to get the bolts out for the LCA's. Used a cutoff wheel yesterday and cut the front bolts. That solved one problem, but of course the torsion bars were completely seized inside the LCA's from 20 years of Michigan winters. Ended up using a torch and cut the torsion bar keys and I was able to pull them out.

My buddy is taking them to work to press out the bushings and ball joints. I'm going to coat them in Chassis Saver and then have him press in the new stuff. Hopefully I'll be able to start throwing it back together soon.

Last edited:

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Coming along nicely.

You have a great truck with the semi float 14 bolt rear axle (F44 RPO code).

FYI - The Z71 trucks had yellow bilstein 4600’s from the factory. Unless you are lifting truck more than an 1” no need for 5100’s unless you prefer the silver.

The GMT400 generation trucks were truly built “like a rock”

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Coming along nicely.

You have a great truck with the semi float 14 bolt rear axle (F44 RPO code).

FYI - The Z71 trucks had yellow bilstein 4600’s from the factory. Unless you are lifting truck more than an 1” no need for 5100’s unless you prefer the silver.

The GMT400 generation trucks were truly built “like a rock”

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Thanks bud.

It didn't have the Z71 package so there were no Bilsteins on her from the factory. I plan on the 5100's because I want the best ride possible and everyone I know that has them loves the ride.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Grabbed some more parts while I'm waiting for the LCA's to come back. Got a new center link, idler wheel, and idler arm bracket. Then decided to get a new cap & rotor, spark plugs, and wires. Fired her up tonight and she runs smoother than I've heard in a long time.

Last edited:

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
As you can see, there was quite a bit of corrosion inside the cap. The idler pulley is the original and didn't have very much play in it, but I figured why not.

Since we torched the factory keys to get the torsion bars out, I bought new keys from Suspension Maxx in Bay City. Its just going to be cranked level so no insane angles.