Cant turn, among other issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
It wouldn't be too bad, once you have the drums and the rear diff cover off, you should be able to have the axles out in less than 5 minutes. Once they're out, the backing plates with all of the brakes can easily be unbolted as long as your brake lines come out of the cylinders nicely.

SilverSteve

Reaction score
I certainly have to do more research on this, but you make it sound easy, lol.
Should I go to the junkyard to find the axles?

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
It wouldn't be too bad, once you have the drums and the rear diff cover off, you should be able to have the axles out in less than 5 minutes. Once they're out, the backing plates with all of the brakes can easily be unbolted as long as your brake lines come out of the cylinders nicely.
OMG, a real response out of justin lmao.

Yea, it is pretty easy though, the worst part is probably dissasembly/ re assembly of the drum brakes. After that the backing plate is like 4 bolts, the diff cover is 14, and 2 c clips hold the axles to the carrier if i remember right.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Depends on how much you want to spend. Around me, I could find a complete rear diff for $150, and i'd just take whats needed. If money isn't a concern, all brake parts are readily available at parts stores, and i'm sure you could find axles and backing plates online. Hell, if you ended up getting a complete diff, you could throw all of the 8 lug parts on it and sell it as a beefed up diff :D

SilverSteve

Reaction score
Thats what I am wondering, would it be more cost effective to find a used rear in 6 lug? Although I guess I would run into gearing problems. Still dont know how to find that out yet.

SilverSteve

Reaction score
Well, over the weekend I tried the swaybar drop brackets, but they wouldnt fit. However when I loosened the sway bar, and turned to the right, it still wouldnt turn very far. When I bought the truck I found another pitman arm inside of the cab, could they have put the new one in wrong? Also, I am not sure where the bump stops I hear people talk about are. Any particular places I can take pictures of to help figure this out?

aaronb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm wondering if when they did the pitman arm, if they didn't have steering box centered when installing it. If it was off to one side and reinstalled. It could be the cause of not being able to turn one direction.
I'd unbolt the draglink and turn the wheel to left counting the turns and same to the right. If they aren't close to being even turns, I'd say it's not centered.

Project400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats what I am wondering, would it be more cost effective to find a used rear in 6 lug? Although I guess I would run into gearing problems. Still dont know how to find that out yet.

Just swap it to 99+ rear disks from a 6 lug truck.
You can find the parts cheap.

Without question the hardest part of the job will be pulling the old drums off......Do a disk swap and never have to deal with that again

SilverSteve

Reaction score
Well, I finally got enough time and money to pick up where I left off. Got a whole bunch of parts coming, most excited about the Bilstein shocks.
I have found a 14 bolt rear from supposedly a 99 1500, with 6 lugs. It has drums. Would these axles and brakes fit my rear? I'm not really sure what the difference would be.
More pics coming soon!