Cant turn, among other issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Yes, but you could just swap the entire rear end over and save yourself the time if you can.

Edit: sorry i didnt see your question about the ubolts. Yea just pull the block out and as long as the threads are long enough on the ubolt to hold everything you can reuse them and just cutoff the excess ubolt so it doesnt hang down and look dumb lol.

Last edited:

SilverSteve

Reaction score
Yes, but you could just swap the entire rear end over and save yourself the time if you can.

Edit: sorry i didnt see your question about the ubolts. Yea just pull the block out and as long as the threads are long enough on the ubolt to hold everything you can reuse them and just cutoff the excess ubolt so it doesnt hang down and look dumb lol.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only way to be certain is to pull the cover and count the teeth on the gear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Only way to be certain is to pull the cover and count the teeth on the gear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Front diff has no cover.

Check the tags on the diff. It should be some indication as to what the gears are. Or turn the driveshaft and count how many times the tires turn. I dont know exactly how to do it this way so maybe someone else will chime in on it.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Nevermind. Google came through but ignore the ford crap.

Tools needed
A flat surface
Masking tape
4 feet of string
Chalk (for marking)
Hydraulic jack with stands (if needed)
Simple five steps
Park your rig on a flat surface.
Tape one end of the string to the bottom (6 o’clock) of the rear drive shaft. Using a clock method to determine location, bottom would be 6 o’clock, and the top would be 12 o’clock.
Mark the rear tire where it touches the ground.
Now push your rig forward so that the tire make one full rotation
Look at string on the drive shaft.
The string will wrap around the drive shaft and the amount of wrap it has will tell you roughly what gear ratio you got.
Example:
If the string is wrapped around the drive shaft 3 ½ times than you have the 3.50 to 1 gear ratio, which came stock behind a 302 V8.
If you got the string wrapped around 4 ¼ times than it will most likely be 4.11 to 1 gear ratio.
If it is wrapped 4 ½ times than it will be 4.56 to 1.
If it is wrapped 4 ¾ times than it will be 4.88 to 1.

SilverSteve

Reaction score
Well, I spent the day at the junkyard today, going after some axles and brakes. I found a rear the same length, and took the axles home, only to find that the axles are too long? Did I miss something?

Goose 3406

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I spent the day at the junkyard today, going after some axles and brakes. I found a rear the same length, and took the axles home, only to find that the axles are too long? Did I miss something?
You ever fix your steering problem?