Cant turn, among other issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goose 3406

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is tomorrows project, after I find the correct axles. I am hoping it will be the pitman arm not centered. Will let you know.
Well I wish you luck, I hope you get it figured out. I also gotta try to figure out my steering issue

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
It's possible the pitman arm was installed off center, though that could only occur with arms that don't have the master spline cut in them. I was under the impression all aftermarket factory replacement stuff did, with the exception being the one I bought for my truck that had it manufactured without.

Start tearing that **** apart, it's the only way to be certain

EDIT : just went back to page 1, if your pitman arm looks like that with the tires pointing straight ahead then, 1, yes you would have absolutely zero right turn ability, that pitman arm should be straight inline with the box itself with tires straight ahead, and 2, if you get it sorted out and mounted right (pitman to box) it likely means your tie rods are going to need a helluva an adjustment back to center

SilverSteve

Reaction score
I was under the assumption that they had 4 keyway type things. I do get about one revolution on the wheel to the right, and 2 or more to the left. Was hoping it could just rotate the arm 90 degrees, try it, and go from there. And yep, one tie rod is extended fully, lol. I will take some pics tomorrow while working on it for documenting purposes.

SilverSteve

Reaction score
So, I went and got the axles, and put them in, and they stuck out a lot more than the 8 lug ones. Come to find out that they were a bit longer. So, I took them back and found a set from a 2wd truck, tried them, and they were very close to the same size as the 8 lugs axles. They fit in there well, so I came across some new-ish brakes from a van and grabbed them too. For some reason the drum is too wide, and pushes against the backing plate when I installed it. The only drums I can find for it are all the same size at about 5 and a quarter in. height, and I have about 4.5 inches from the backing plate to the wheel mounting surface. Anyone ever hear of this happening?

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
I have no clue man. Probably be better off to just grab a whole axle and take back what you couldnt use

SilverSteve

Reaction score
I am kinda worried about the brakes, but at the same time, couldnt i just put the 10 inch brakes on there, with a small spacer? It would titally defeat the purpose of this swap, but it would get me inspected and runnin, right?

SilverSteve

Reaction score
So, after many different sets of 6 lug axles, none of which fit, I broke down and replaced the whole axle finally, so thats workin.
The steering, it turned out that someone replaced the steering wheel, and put it on upside down, making the alignment shop extend a tie rod so far that it would only get about one revolution to the right, and 2 revolutions to the left. I pulled the pitman arm apparently for no reason. So all is good on that front as well.
I've almost got it finished and ready to go, just a few more small things like the interior carpet is drying out after I took it out and cleaned it vigorously, have some header wrap coming, and a couple sensors coming as well.