Cant turn, among other issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverSteve

Reaction score
Hey guys, new here with some questions for ya.
So I bought a truck the other day,
You must be registered for see images attach
and am having some issues.
I wasn't sure which forum to go to, so if I need to be moved, then by all means.
I guess I will start with the not being able to turn to the right problem. It seems the pitman arm(?) Is hitting when I try to turn right, allowing very little turn radius.

Anybody had this happen?
While I am at it, I might as well ask how do you extend, or relocate the brake lines? Apparently the "person" didn't want to do that.

And lastly, what are these bars for that attach one end to the motor mounts, and the other to nothing? Seems important, lol.

Thank you for looking and taking the time to help.

SilverSteve

Reaction score
I should add some info about the truck. Its a 97 1500, with 2500 rear, and when I just had the front brakes done they said they had to get rotors from a '79, whatever that means. I bought it with the current 6 inch skyjacker lift, and a 3 inch body lift, that I have since removed. I removed the 38 inch super swampers and put those wheels on as a temporary solution.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Well Ya picked the right forum! Welcome.

I think you either have your pitman arm on wrong or something. Ive never seen that problem..

Youll need to buy some extended brake lines. Theres not really any way to extend the stock rubber ones but you could try making new longer metal lines because it looks like the bracket that is used to hold the joint in place is not being used.

There should be 2 bolts on the bottom of the transmission bellhousing that those bars bolt to. Theyre right on the bottom, cant miss them.

Sooo let me get this straight.. Its a 1500 but has an 8 lug front? Nothing should be interchangable to make it 8 lug in the front without some serious serious modification. And 79 front rotors shouldnt even come close to fitting or even looking like it.

shorepatrol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sooo let me get this straight.. Its a 1500 but has an 8 lug front? Nothing should be interchangable to make it 8 lug in the front without some serious serious modification. And 79 front rotors shouldnt even come close to fitting or even looking like it.

I was waiting for someone more knowledgeable to comment on that. I thought that was all kinds of fucky

SilverSteve

Reaction score
Well Ya picked the right forum! Welcome.

I think you either have your pitman arm on wrong or something. Ive never seen that problem..

Youll need to buy some extended brake lines. Theres not really any way to extend the stock rubber ones but you could try making new longer metal lines because it looks like the bracket that is used to hold the joint in place is not being used.

There should be 2 bolts on the bottom of the transmission bellhousing that those bars bolt to. Theyre right on the bottom, cant miss them.

I am glad I found the right place, had me worried, haha.
After a long search, I have found some brackets to lower the stabilizer bar made by skyjacker, I am thinking either the kit didnt come with them, or the guy who lifted it just threw away the instructions.
Ahh, extended brake lines. I see they are expensive, but probably worth it. I have no clue as to how I would route them, but can figure it out. I am wondering if the brakes are somehow from a different year, would the fittings be different?
Ok are the bolts for those bars near the inspection cover bolts on the tranny?
And I see youve found another headache of mine, lol. Yes the front wheels have 2 sets of spacers on them, converting them to 8 bolts. The shop couldnt get the passenger side spacers off, because apparently someone tried to torch them off with a tig welder or something and they welded them together. Didnt make sense to me when they told me that, and still doesnt now. That is going to be a fun project down the road.

SilverSteve

Reaction score
You got a twisted sense of fun brother. Good luck !
Haha, yeah Im trying to keep a sunny disposition about it. Now if i do end up drilling it off or somehow manage to pull that off, will it be a problem running 6 lug fronts with 8 lug rears, if the tires are the same size?

shorepatrol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haha, yeah Im trying to keep a sunny disposition about it. Now if i do end up drilling it off or somehow manage to pull that off, will it be a problem running 6 lug fronts with 8 lug rears, if the tires are the same size?
Not at all

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
It would almost even look normal if you had matching rims lol. As for the trans braces, they bolt like right behind the inspection cover with some 15mm? Bolts.

I have no clue whats going on with the whole brake thing lol.

Last edited:

SilverSteve

Reaction score
Well, I found some rims that come the same size, with both bolt patterns for it I believe.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002...3&psc=1&th=1#part-finder-garage_1493009539349
Would have to find out if they fit otherwise.
And thanks, I will look around for the bolts, it has a new trans in it, and they didnt have an inspection cover on it, so I bought one, cant get it on until I do the exhaust, as my rear pipes are falling apart.

Today Ive been playing with the torsion bars, as it rode worse than driving a boat on pavement. Of course I found them fully cranked. So I got out the breaker bar and backed them both out to about flush with the bracket, lowered it a ton, and all of the angles on ball joints etc look even now. Got a little more playing with it to get it level side to side, but am wondering if I went too far. Should the lower arms be about level looking to the ground?
And yes it has an incredible rake now, will have to get a smaller block or something.