Turn signal/Running light issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackMold

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 93 k1500 and (bear with me while I try to describe the problem) whenever I turn my ambers and/or my headlights as well the right turn signal will be brighter then normal (as if the turn signal is stuck on). It will do this for about 10 seconds then go back to normal. After a little bit it will randomly flicker between dim and bright(sometimes for a second other times I will have to turn my turn signal on to fix it).I checked and cleaned all the grounds I could find. Any suggestions? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4180.jpeg
    IMG_4180.jpeg
    227 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4181.jpeg
    IMG_4181.jpeg
    295.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4182.jpeg
    IMG_4182.jpeg
    321.6 KB · Views: 9

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Lights switch module or the wiring to it in the column is probably broken, my guess would be the switch itself. Good news is they're still available new, bad news is you need certain tools to remove the steering wheel and locking cam to get to the switch body.

BlackMold

Reaction score
Lights switch module or the wiring to it in the column is probably broken, my guess would be the switch itself. Good news is they're still available new, bad news is you need certain tools to remove the steering wheel and locking cam to get to the switch body.
Thanks!

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How did you wire in those extra lights? How you cut those in the circuit could make your problem a little different than stock.

BlackMold

Reaction score
How did you wire in those extra lights? How you cut those in the circuit could make your problem a little different than stock.
The lights in the Valance/Air dam( Whatever you call it) are wired into the driver's side running lights, and they have there own separate ground.

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm no electrical wizard, but it might have something to do with the total resistance of all the lights you've put on that one circuit. What you might want to try is putting a relay in to turn on your valence lights. Use the power wire from your right side lighting to trigger the relay, then draw your valence light power from your battery. They'll turn on as normal whenever you turn on your lights, but not overload the trucks' lighting circuit. If I remember correctly, back in "the day" GM engineers used to tie the front signal lights into the side marker lights via ground so that the two lights would alternately flash one to the other, similar to what you're experiencing

BlackMold

Reaction score
I'm no electrical wizard, but it might have something to do with the total resistance of all the lights you've put on that one circuit. What you might want to try is putting a relay in to turn on your valence lights. Use the power wire from your right side lighting to trigger the relay, then draw your valence light power from your battery. They'll turn on as normal whenever you turn on your lights, but not overload the trucks' lighting circuit. If I remember correctly, back in "the day" GM engineers used to tie the front signal lights into the side marker lights via ground so that the two lights would alternately flash one to the other, similar to what you're experiencing
Alright, thanks for the suggestion!

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 93 k1500 and (bear with me while I try to describe the problem) whenever I turn my ambers and/or my headlights as well the right turn signal will be brighter then normal (as if the turn signal is stuck on). It will do this for about 10 seconds then go back to normal. After a little bit it will randomly flicker between dim and bright(sometimes for a second other times I will have to turn my turn signal on to fix it).I checked and cleaned all the grounds I could find. Any suggestions? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
I had this exact same problem on my '98, On mine I found that there was a ground wire not even hooked to the battery (it had fallen underneath the battery tray). I'm not quite sure, but I think that is was originally spliced into the negative battery cable.