Bought a CC Dually 454 Whipple

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I don't recall which article it was where you asked me to elaborate on why it would be an asspain to 411 a 454, so here goes: VE and timing tables can be copy/pasted or fudged. MAF will be off because its tract is different between the 2 engines. Merely calling the 350 a 454 doesn't account for the different heads and intake, nor its cold start tendencies and all the other unknown unknowns. Could be easy, could be a nightmare. Plus 454 has 2 knock sensors and small blocks had 1. No 411 every came attached to a 454 like they did with the 350.

David did you get the most recent blower rebuild? What did either sound like? I was told they should sound like they're about to blow. Doesn't really tell me when it really is about to blow. Mine might be fine, we'll find out once I finish tearing it apart.
The supercharger used, when I installed it, made no abnormal noises, it just went and failed. It was rebuilt.

Everything I read, if it makes any noise other than a typical supercharger noise and some gear noise at idle, rebuild it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I want to put eyes on the internals of the dually blower bit I think the 1500's is OK because when I unplug the bypass it puts a slight load on it and it shuts up. They said if you take if off idle and it shuts up don't worry about it. Dually's mostly shut up hence my concern so we'll see in a day or 2 when I get to it. Today I need to finish welding the top of the muffler on the 1500 to finish its install. Pretty sure I gota yank the driveshaft and lift it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So I did end up getting the blower out. I'd love to post pics of it but since PB went full retard I haven't found a replacement host site yet. I had to make a spanner wrench to get the hub cracked loose, next removed the cover, and then the rotor pack from the housing. I guess I was more horrified than surprised by how much gunk was caked in there, it reminded me of the rest of the intake tract. So I taped off the 2 rear needle bearings and blew through 2 cans of carb cleaner to clean the rotors and housing. Popped a couple dabs of M1 grease into the needle bearings, and slapped it all back together. It seemed to spin easier by hand and that noise was gone. That noise was all the crap inside. Then I fired the truck up and that dried up bearing sound is still there so I guess I need to make a more legit attempt to clean and repack those needle bearings. Housing had some scratches inside but nothing was destroyed. Hopefully a good bearing repack will do the trick.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I took the blower off again today to see about packing some more grease into the rear needle bearings. When I took the front cover off, I noticed shavings in the oil and pretty much stopped there. Slapped it back together and left the belt off, I guess I'm in it for a full rebuild now. Gonna be a grand by the looks of things, I need to get my water pump pulley flattened too. One of the belts wore a groove into it and apparently Jon Bond turns them down or welds/turns until flat. I'll be getting the rotors coated and case ported too. I bet I'll hit the 1 year mark before I'm finally able to start using this thing for what I bought it to do.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Look what I ganked.

Anyone else see the pic cuz I can't. What'd I **** up?

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I just uploaded a file on here

Alrighty, guess I didn't wait long enough for it to upload.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Got the frame painted up and leaf packs reassembled/installed. Had them powdercoated. I really need new shocks but I'm out of money. Trying to get the bed on this weekend.

You must be registered for see images attach

Once that's done I need to deal with the exhaust and 411/injector swap. Of course I need to send them out for a cleaning but at this point I may say screw it and just run them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake rogers