Jeep Hauler 1990 K3500 Dually

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
nice truck but with all them electrical issues imho it wasn't worth that much, but over all I hope you get it figured out welcome to the forum from Maryland. Lots of acknowledgable people here,

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah , this project is definitely a good candidate for treasure yard hunt , pickup a couple harnesses and make really good one , that last 20 years. :waytogo:

Reaction score
nice truck but with all them electrical issues imho it wasn't worth that much
That's quite possible, but I really only paid $3,500 for it since I sold the plow for $1,000. My budget is $10,000 and anything I found that was already in "done" condition was significantly over that. So far I am well below budget and most of the large items are already purchased. It is just time and effort now. Good thing I like working on old vehicles.

Russ B

Reaction score
Agree, save what you have. Reading wiring diagrams is not easy. I have found the best way to work on wiring is to use the color coding of the wiring as a guide. As for the tangle under the dash, I would be tempted to at least shorten each wire before you just cut it out and then find you need it.

Go to RockAuto website for your model of truck. They have pictures of all the parts. If you can get a part number off what you are looking for use that in the search box.

Reaction score
Even if I was to try and save what I have, all I would be saving would be the fuse panels and connectors. The wires have all been cut or otherwise damaged and need to be replaced. I'm saving the connectors as it is. So really the only things I am changing that doesn't "need" to be are the fuse panels. To me it's worth it to have the fuse panels pre-wired and not all Bubba'd up. The new TBI harness came in today as did the NSS and a few other items.

This isn't my first rodeo. I've wired vehicles from scratch before. Here are a few past projects.

You must be registered for see images attach

I couldn't find any "before" pictures of this grey YJ off hand, but it was in rough shape.

Reaction score
Here is the main reason I am building a tow rig. I purchased this bone stock from a lady in her 60's. It was her family car when she still had teens at home and she just didn't use it any more. I got it for $1,200 and then built it into what it is now. While it is perfectly street legal and does 70mph, I want to trailer it. If I break it on the trail, I want to be able to put it on the trailer and drive home. Some day I hope to post a picture of it on the trailer and hooked up the K3500.

Reaction score
Was able to clean up some of the wiring yesterday. Trying to remove any of Bubba's wires and just get it down to the factory wires so I can evaluate those more. It is looking a lot better but unfortunately I'm finding many of the factory wires are damaged (cut, spliced or the insulation has been scratched to where the metal wire is exposed). Also, I found the issue with the reverse lights. The wire was broken right at the connector for the NSS. Since I was already under there with a new NSS in hand, I changed out the NSS and saved the old one. Instead of fixing the broken reverse light wire, he had wired in a toggle switch on the dash to turn on the reverse lights by cutting into a factory hot wire on the fuse panel and then running a separate wire clear to the light. So every time you backed up, you would have to manually flip the switch to get your reverse lights to come on. Not to mention he ruined another factory wire in doing that. The whole wiring harness is that way. I found three other abandoned toggle switches under the dash. No idea what they were used for in the past but they are all coming out.

Previously I had asked what the third relay was on the firewall. After looking at some more wiring diagrams I'm thinking that it is for the electric cooling fan. Is that correct?