Jeep Hauler 1990 K3500 Dually

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Here is why I don't think I need the Check Engine Lamp Driver Module.

First is that the Painless kit comes with its own CEL. Second is that I don't see it on the Painless instructions as a required part.

You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
Below is why I think this truck is worth rebuilding. Just for reference, I almost decided to find a 1920's or 1930's 2 ton and turn it into a Jeep hauler instead. That would have been cool, but I kind of miss having a full size Chevy. We have a surprisingly large number of old 2 tons around here. I pass by two almost every day (one has a for sale sign on it) and my parents neighbor has one I could buy. So those of you who may think that this is too much work or that this wasn't worth the time, money or effort, this was the relatively "quick and easy" option in comparison.

1. TBI - A very basic and reliable fuel injection system from the factory. Already programmed and tuned.
2. The th400 version of this truck is super basic. No lock up torque converter, no over drive and no computer control of the transmission (other than the kick down which can be done with a simple switch on the throttle).
3. The 454 has plenty of power to haul a Jeep. It gets horrid gas mileage, but I didn't buy this thing to commute in. My Jeep gets about the same mpg by the way.
4. The frame and body are almost rust free. There is a lot of surface rust on the flatbed, but I can wire brush that off and paint it.
5. Gear driven transfer case that is manually shifted.
6. New tires, transfer case, transmission, front suspension and engine. The engine condition is questionable since it got hot, but the 454 is plentiful enough to find another if needed.
7. Lots of parts and aftermarket support still available for the GMT400.
8. I enjoy building vehicles that I get to drive.

In other news, the engine lift plate showed up today. I finally ordered one since I felt lazy about chaining up the hoist to the engine. Dakota Digital just emailed me and said that my new instrument cluster and all its goodies just shipped!

Also, my brother is coming over today. Sounds like he wants to buy that 1995 Jeep off of me that I had forgotten about. He wants something to go out in the woods with. That would be one less vehicle at the house.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the lead on the nice connectors.
You're welcome. Just be sure and line it up so that you're crimping perpendicular to the split in the metal, and not parallel. You can see the dimple through the insulation, so if you're staring down at it as you crimp, you're golden. Always do a test-tug on your crimp before you heat-shrink it. Following these rules, I have never had one fail.

Reaction score
The member who was making the new Hot Fuel Modules responded to me and had a few more so he was willing to sell me one. That is one more item off the list. I'll keep the old one as a spare anyways. The Dakota Digital gauges should be here Monday. It will be good to get my hands and eyes on those before ripping anything out.