Black90Sport Build Log

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finally have my new garage ready and the truck ready to work on. I found a great house with a 900 SF garage that I promptly epoxy coated. Its not professional quality but its perfect for me. Only thing I have gotten done to the truck is get the front valence on that has been sitting around for 5 years. Next is figuring out my LS1 E fans or just going with an all in one unit if I can find a quality for not too much. Couple pics to show my new man cave.

After Grinding (still drying):
You must be registered for see images attach

Coated:

Work benches:

Trucks Finally home!!!!

Without valence:

With one, needs some cleaning and massaging still

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Garage looks great! I did the same thing in my new barn.

Just out of curiousity, who do you use to host your photos?

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
like the color combo of the seat. mine is gray also but just the lighter shade on the seats. i'm a fan of the 88-94 interiors ever since i got the 93. never liked them before that.
i'm using tinypics for my photos.

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use Photobucket... started using it probably 12 years ago and paid last year to continue using it ad free and everything... have a couple builds worth of pics on it

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yesterday I also found my next project. I will only be doing the rear body mounts at this time because i am hoping to find a frame in the next year or so but would like to be able to drive the truck in the mean time. Scared of what i will find when i tear out the old stuff but this is next.

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tried driving the truck for the first time in a few months over the weekend and the main brake line to the rear exploded on me 2 blocks away from home. And I mean EXPLODED. Zero brakes and fluid all over the road and underside of the truck. Luckily it was just one section that was pretty rough so I took out about 3 feet of line and spliced in some new stuff.

Old and new Tubing:

Close up of the worst part, there was one big blow out but awful rust for the majority of the middle of what i pulled out.

And how she sits now soaking the front bleed screws to try to get them free so i can finish the job.

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After years of searching I finally found one and when I got there it was what I expected. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sure too much of the rear end suspension will stay, but the frame is straight and rust free, the body mounts are better then any other frame I have looked at and its exactly what I need for a starting point. Having only 4WD suspension knowledge I have a lot of learning to do, but with the help of the forum I am hoping to have the frame swap done in 24 months.

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I came to some easy conclusions about my plans, AND THANK GOD FOR IT. Upon initial visual checking welds look ok at best. Not the worst I'd seen, but holy ****, I was able to bust off both of the top link mounts with a small 2lb sledge. ZERO penetration on the mounting metal, the axle welds look even worse. I am hoping to have most of the old stuff chopped off by tomorrow. Got a solid start today. Will update with pics when i find a new hosting service. Photobucket is just too much any more.

Also think im going to be going with this 4 link set up instead of the "custom made" set up on there. will definitely ease my mind a bit on the safety of the rear end.
https://www.cachassisworks.com/p-2524-gm-88-98-c1500-truck-bolt-on-4-link-cantilever-suspension-system.aspx

Looking at these for the front end, still up in the air tho
http://www.ridetech.com/products/strongarms/1988-1998-chevy-c1500-strongarms-coolride-front-lower/

Pretty easy to bust this thing apart. Ran out of blades/cut offs (only had one of each) will get the main work done tomorrow for cutting it apart and get the grinder going during the week after work.

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was able to get everything except for the notches cut off today. The welds on this thing continue to terrify me. The really sad part is that an uncle gave it to his nephew to build a drag truck with, would have been a disaster. During the week I will get the die grinder going to do final clean up on the frame and then start cutting out the notches in preparation for my McGaughys notches to bolt in. Hoping there isn't too much metal missing from the notches that are already in but I will take care of that when they get here. As long as the notches haven't caused a huge problem I am hoping to get the rear suspension ordered this week. On to the pics, not too much to show.

Ready for finish work

I didn't take the time to get too many pictures of the ABSOLUTE **** welds on this thing, but here'S one that I was able to just hammer off.

How I left her ready for Tuesday clean up.