Black Coffee's 98' RCSB 4wd build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Right on. I'll be waiting for the pics. Sounds like you have a lot of plans for this thing. I'd be willing to bet the color it is will grow on you. That green is pretty nice especially when its cleaned up.

blackcoffee

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hell yeah, gonna take some pics when its not so damp out in a few minutes here. Yeah I do, its kinda growing on me. BUT the condition of the paint is poor. It'll either be repainted or I will do a vinyl wrap since I"m not opposed to it.
The truck has a few problems that need to be fixed before I start getting it where I want it. The steering wheel is crooked quite a bit, I don't think the alignment could be that far off, and the steering box seems to actually be nice and tight and in good shape.
The AC is not serving its purpose of making cool/cold air, but it is pushing air. The drivers door needs a lot of work, its very difficult to close and looks butt ugly on the inside. The headliner is looking ugly, the floor is gonna be pulled and I'll install vinyl, the whole dashboard is in great shape. Now with that said... Someone spray painted it all a glossy black at some point. BUT there are no cracks or breaks which is great so its fine. I'm going to replace the rear window with a slider window type. Power doors, windows, cruise control, lights, everything works great. Need to replace the headlights with my HIDS asap. The ABS light is on and the breaks are iffy but they work fine, I mean its a 15 year old truck with 33x12.50 tires, the check engine light is on and is pulling a code for the O2 sensor, so I'm not in a huge hurry for that one. With that said aswell, the gauge cluster looks dated, I'm gonna pull my brand new one out of my tahoe with my red leds and swap it into this truck. The transmission is new and rebuilt and works very well. The engine and transmission will be great to put into the tahoe, I made a wise choice of getting this truck. I'm excited to get my engine/tranny out of my tahoe into this thing, my headers, cai, my super monster ss 4l65, and the black bear tuned pcm really woke up that truck. I don't get the suspension, this things lifted I just don't get how yet as of looking at it yesterday, but it rides higher but its not stiff its squishy like a cadillac ha. Will see, most likely gonna bring it back to stock and lift it 4-6" properly with an RCX kit.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if you're pulling the engine out, a lsx better be going in to replace it

blackcoffee

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Never got any good pics today, got the old fugly tool box off and started tearing it apart kinda, in preperation for a black grille with red black bowtie, diesel / tahoe limited style black front bumper that'll be going on tomorrow.
I'm pulling the engine and putting in my fresh rebuilt 5.7L vortec with 20,000 miles on it with a few bolt ons, k&N cai, shorty headers, black bear pcm, and my new built 4L65e. Thats for the time being just because I've already had them.
In the future I will be doing my LQ4 / 4L80e swap like I always wanted to do on my 2 door. And Mike, you better be around for it when I do. Ever since you did your build thread awhile ago on the ricer truck I felt confident that I could do the LS swap.
****, come down and stay with me during the summer and do a 6.0 swap with me ha.

blackcoffee

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Progress today, took some photos.... Just kidding, got the blazer grille/bowtie off respraying it tomorrow satin black again then it'll be going on the 1500. Got my new gauge cluster with red leds into the 1500 working great. Took the fugly toolbox off the truck. Began working on the windows (some challenged person decided to spray the whole interior black at some point and didn't think of overspray...) there covered in age old black spray paint pretty much on the inside, razer blade time! Unbolted and threw away the ugly cup holder thing on the floor.. Removed the chrome fender flare thingys, except the passanger rear one, it wants to be the odd one out it needed some wd40 I'll remove it tomorrow. So plans for tomorrow, paint the grille satin black then put it on, paint my diesel bumper satin black then put it on, finish the windows, remove the last fender flare thingy, fix or get the steering fixed, put on my AR mojave teflons and my 265/75/16 goodyear dura wranglers from my hoe, modify my headache rack to fit the 1500.

blackcoffee

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly :

Good & Ugly - the front of the truck doesn't show its age, it looks good. But I sure do hate chrome, doesn't matter that'll be fixed tomorrow.

You must be registered for see images

Good & Ugly - My gauge cluster rocks, the spray painted dash... Not so hot. The spray painted floor... Good god thats bad... The spray painted torn headliner straight ugly... The wind shield, rear glass, door panels, speakers, no bucket seats, no center console all bad and ugly and on the to do list!

Good & Bad - This side looks good! Other then the paint not shining, the door out of line, the lack of oem fender flares, my wheels tires, my headache rack, my bumpers, and my black out grille, scratches and couple small dents, and a couple other things, it looks good!

Bad & Ugly - All the Below.. Work to be DONE!

Last edited:

blackcoffee

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Contacted Black Bear Tuners and told them I'd be sending in my PCM to be retuned again, going with 87 octane instead of 93. Changing around shift patterns, exhaust, etc.

So I plan to run the exhaust like so. Headman shorty headers > Adaptor > 1 pipe that is 3" in diameter > Cherry Bomb Glass pack muffler> big 4-5" black tip coming out infront of right rear tire. No cats, resonators. Meowww
I'd love to run some Pacesetter LT headers but I can't find any good ones used around here. If anyone knows of one or has one for sale let me know!

CB glasspack I'll be using most likely

blackcoffee

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Engine :

Headman Headers - Need Gaskets & Bolts
K&N CAI - Need to clean filter
PCM/ECU - Need to make sure its flashed

Exhaust :

Adapter to 3" pipe > Cherry Bomb 87525 muffler > Tip

Steering / Brakes / ETC :

Alignment?
Stainless steel break lines
ABS?

Suspension :

Pull 33's apply 265/75's
Undo any alterations
Redo factory parts
Install RCX 4-6" lift
14 Bolt 9.5" 6 lug

Interior :

Headliner
Door Panels
Glass front
Glass Rear (replace with slider)
A/C
Radio - Pioneer
Seats - Captain Seats
Console - custom
Floor - Vinyl
Door steps need to be replaced

Exterior :

Alter headache rack to fit
KMA Rear bumper
Diesel front bumper
grille
HIDS
OEM Fender Flares
Tint
Vinyl wrap?
Bed liner
low profile black tool box
Fix Dents
Replace door handles
Replace tail gate handle (whole mechanism)

Last edited:

blackcoffee

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Engine/tranny coming out of the 96' 1500 today, engine/tranny coming out of the tahoe over the weekend. Then the swap will start. Should be complete by early next week. I sent out a request for my PCM to be retuned again to Black Bear tuners but didn't get a response.. Kind of irritated but I know Justin or Jenna will get to me. Going to be replacing the truck bed on the 1500, I've found a couple around that I can afford. That will be one of the next big steps on the truck.

blackcoffee

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Found a 6 1/2 bed off a chevy. Wrong color and the guys asking $500.00 but its in near perfect condition. No dents, paint looks great when clean, no scratches. It seems like a lot to pay but I don't know. If I can sell some stuff around here, I'd be able to afford it.
Any input? Is it worth it?!

I should be done with my engine/tranny swap here by say Tuesday or Wednesday by the way coming along smoothly.

You must be registered for see images attach