Air intake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking at the part numbers, there were two designs for the air box and the connecting elbow on the discharge. Parts catalogs only differentiate between the filter being the K47 component, not the housing. The only difference appears to be that the first one was for the “Donaldson” air cleaner and the second version was for Delphi. Both used the same part number for filters.

The first one was 15998570 which is this one:

You must be registered for see images attach

Second design, part number 19201265:

Searching parts sites, the first design comes up for all 1996 models, the second for all 1998 with both coming up for 1997. I would assume that there is some overlap, then.

If the K47 option really was just a different air filter, then GM made a damn killing when people checked that option box. Glancing at the specs for the two Delco air filters, the K47 is 20mm thicker. That’s it.

Standard filter:

High capacity (K47) filter:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've had the parts store ask before if I wanted regular or HD air filter. I was under the impression that the 454 used the same box, but your description implies otherwise.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looking at the part numbers, there were two designs for the air box and the connecting elbow on the discharge. Parts catalogs only differentiate between the filter being the K47 component, not the housing. The only difference appears to be that the first one was for the “Donaldson” air cleaner and the second version was for Delphi. Both used the same part number for filters.

The first one was 15998570 which is this one:

Second design, part number 19201265:

Searching parts sites, the first design comes up for all 1996 models, the second for all 1998 with both coming up for 1997. I would assume that there is some overlap, then.

If the K47 option really was just a different air filter, then GM made a damn killing when people checked that option box. Glancing at the specs for the two Delco air filters, the K47 is 20mm thicker. That’s it.

Standard filter:

High capacity (K47) filter:

Good research! Now that you mention it I remember reading about Delphi making K47 boxes somewhere, probably some long lost thread from here. Really strange that they changed suppliers for those mid-'97, though. Both of my '97s have the big 15998570 Donaldson K47s and they're spread pretty far apart in the production year.

I always thought it was funny that my dad ordered my V6 truck new with a K47. He swears he didn't do that and someone at GM made that call, which if that's true makes it even more hilarious. Either way I hope someone had a laugh on the assembly line that day.

EDIT - To clarify on the "what if it's just the filter" theory, I'm pretty certain there had to be some physical difference in the internal dimensions of the boxes between standard and K47. I've put a standard filter inside a K47 box and it seemed very loose. I'd try and measure the difference but I don't have any standard Delphi boxes here. I just threw one away a couple weeks back, dang it...

Last edited:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had the parts store ask before if I wanted regular or HD air filter. I was under the impression that the 454 used the same box, but your description implies otherwise.

It looks like the 454 used the same air filters as the 350, but the intake box itself is a different part number.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The more parts diagrams I scour through the more confused I get... I just finished piecing together a Donaldson K47 V6 intake for my red truck and I swear I can't even find some of the diagrams I used to do that. I'm finding basically the same thing @east302 has, just a "first design" (Donaldson) and a "second design" (Delphi) for the 4.3-5.7 Vortec trucks. No differentiation between K47 and standard other than the filters.

Dear lord... What if it is just the filters?

EDIT - After reviewing my "Wanted" thread where I was gathering up parts for my V6 intake, it appears that I was under the impression that the Donaldson boxes were exclusively K47s for the 4.3-5.7 trucks. Going back and looking at those diagrams now I have no idea what gave me that impression. Something did, maybe just the fact that both of my trucks have the K47 code and both came with Donaldson boxes?

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also just realized that the aftermarket companies like Spectre, Green, K&N, etc all only offer one size of drop in filter for our trucks. That's more evidence that it's just the filter IMO.

Well, I guess disregard my post about the gas engine K47 airbox because apparently there's no such thing! Just go buy a bigger paper filter! :lol: Thanks for the time spent @east302, I learned something today.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
And yup, $25 option on my '97s too. Don't know why I never thought to check the Suburban's build sheet, good call!

You must be registered for see images

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, guess I’ve learned something new as well. Now the OP knows more than he probably ever wanted to know about air filters, lol.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Yep mines the Delphi one (thanks for looking up that information @east302!), so it's just the filter that's bigger? huh, don't know if I have the larger filter, pretty sure I do, thought mine came with a bigger air filter. My truck never came with a manual or build sheet so I can't tell, anyway I can tell if I have the bigger filter? Just about fills the box.

Sorry to be off-topic, but what is the Deluxe Appearance Package?