Air Intake Duct

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 1988 k1500 with the 350 TBI. When I got it the air duct inside the passengers side fender had come unattached and wasn't connected at the end behind the indicator light anymore, so I did away with the ducting that runs between the air filter housing and the fender. I have seen in chatter on here about cold air intakes and there benefit, or not, so when I took the plastic duct out of my fender today I took some pictures of it and measured the cross section for anyone who may be interested. The small opening where it does a tight right angle behind the battery box measure only 21 cm2 or 3.25 inches2 so not a big opening. I have read that these were only in the earlier trucks and done away with later on and I am not surprised as it appears quite restrictive.
You must be registered for see images attach

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What connects that to the duct you can see, seems there's a missing piece?
There is the duct from the air filter that goes into the round end and a small 90 degree bend that the smaller rectangle end goes into that picks up the cold air from behind the right hand marker lamp, tucked in front of the battery box.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is the duct from the air filter that goes into the round end and a small 90 degree bend that the smaller rectangle end goes into that picks up the cold air from behind the right hand marker lamp, tucked in front of the battery box.
This is the duct between the battery box and marker light.

The air enters at the bottom and rises up to meet the hidden section in the fender.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That piece though just points straight into the fender and doesn't make a 90 to mate with the front end of that longer piece. Or is that just the way it is?
I haven't taken that piece out yet, but I expect it continues into the panel and connects to the middle tube.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The idea is , the incoming air is not under hood hot inefficient air. It's outside air. And it's not a 69 RAMAIR GTO. It's a truck.
I doubt most of the stock engines are suffering with a restricted fender intake.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This intake setup goes through '95 model year. The 96 and on Vortec engines have the air filter on the right wheel well just aft of battery.