Best cold air intake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all,

What do you think the best cold air intake is for the 96 5.7L vortec? Was looking at the k&n, but the filter being exposed makes me wonder if it's not a good thing for mudding/offroading.

I'm having trouble finding replacements for the stock tubing so I'm wondering if I should just "upgrade" lol.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, I was about to post the answer (Volant 150576) but when I went to grab a link to it I found this:

https://volant.com/collections/1997...8/products/closed-box-air-intake-15957-150576

It looks like the Volant intakes for the Vortec 5.0/5.7L trucks have been discontinued. :(

Which really sucks, because they were the only aftermarket intake kit I'm aware of that uses a sealed filter box and draws cool air from the factory fender opening. Everything else is an open box like the K&N.

I ran a K&N FIPK kit on my V6 truck for a while and actually removed it because it raised my intake air temps significantly. At this point I think sticking with the factory intake is probably your best option.

Trio

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all,

What do you think the best cold air intake is for the 96 5.7L vortec? Was looking at the k&n, but the filter being exposed makes me wonder if it's not a good thing for mudding/offroading.

I'm having trouble finding replacements for the stock tubing so I'm wondering if I should just "upgrade" lol.

Replace the stock tubing. When connected like factory, it pulls cooler air from the inner fender - not the engine bay. If you are looking for performance gains with an aftermarket CAI, then you are going to be disappointed. And your decision about the K&N is good - it's just pulling hot air from the engine bay. Maybe the engine makes better SOUNDS with a CAI, but that's about it.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I was about to post the answer (Volant 150576) but when I went to grab a link to it I found this:

https://volant.com/collections/1997...8/products/closed-box-air-intake-15957-150576

It looks like the Volant intakes for the Vortec 5.0/5.7L trucks have been discontinued. :(

Which really sucks, because they were the only aftermarket intake kit I'm aware of that uses a sealed filter box and draws cool air from the factory fender opening. Everything else is an open box like the K&N.

I ran a K&N FIPK kit on my V6 truck for a while and actually removed it because it raised my intake air temps significantly. At this point I think sticking with the factory intake is probably your best option.
Probably still available, at least for a little while.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm seeing that a few vendors still have stock of the 15957 part number. Be aware though, that's the older version of the kit that comes with the (IMO less desirable) oiled gauze filter.

The 150576 is the kit that comes with the dry Donaldson PowerCore filter, and I'm not seeing those anywhere including eBay.
They’ll be available soon…for around $800.00. :evillol:

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You are right about the old type exposed element filter and mudding.
Up here in the northwest just everyday driving is like going through a dishwasher.
Those K&N filters turn into a big soggy mudded up mess really fast.
And then they fall off and you get an unintended valve clean from sucking raw water.
It seems to happen a lot more to hondas and jettas because those people leave their spray shields on the curb about ten minutes after they buy the car.
Every vape shop and weed shop in town has to deal with trying to cut various plastic car parts into small enough chunks to make them fit in the recycle bin.