Air intake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spookers

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Sorry for dark and crappy pictures, sunsets before I get done work. should be able to give you an idea though.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I like what you've done, can you datalog and compare airflow before and after, with and without lid? My question is how badly does the stock box shroud the filter. I know there is more airflow with the lid off, but much hotter. I observed more than the aforementioned 30 degree delta.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry for dark and crappy pictures, sunsets before I get done work. should be able to give you an idea though.

Is that a procharger?

Edit: Sorry, dont mean to derail this, just curious.

Spookers

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
in stock shape the box doesn't do bad but works better when you "gut it" (theres roughly an inch extra clearance when you do this). Biggest gain will be adding the extra tube which directs cool air right at the filter. Personally I run the lid other wise the cool air from the tube just goes out into the engine bay. No sorry I don't have any datalogs of before and after and I am running a supercharger so it wouldn't be relevant.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
in stock shape the box doesn't do bad but works better when you "gut it" (theres roughly an inch extra clearance when you do this). Biggest gain will be adding the extra tube which directs cool air right at the filter. Personally I run the lid other wise the cool air from the tube just goes out into the engine bay. No sorry I don't have any datalogs of before and after and I am running a supercharger so it wouldn't be relevant.

I only meant to try without the lid to see what kind of airflow was left on the table. There were 4 or 5 kpa on the table when bone stock NA. I'd removed the lid and filter and the restriction was gone. At increased levels of airflow I now question where the restriction lies and have been too lazy to experiment. Like you, I'm boosted and still pulling through the stock airbox.

Spookers

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again sorry I don't have the data logs or the equipment to do so right now.
The gutted and extra tube do make a difference, not entirely sure how much. Gutting it will help with the shrouding concern if you don't want to drill holes. Sorry I cant be more help.
The Mass Air Flow also has a mesh on it (be careful not to touch the elements/wires and use a needle nose pleir to grab a bit and twist it up till it falls out/pulls out) which if removed really frees up airflow but id advise a tune after.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Huh. I might need to grab a spare K47 air box and try that.

And for the 350 guys, you can upgrade to a 454 Throttle body if you don't want to do the restrictor plate mod. I think a guy on here by the name of VorTexas (?) did it on a 350 in a Tahoe or something;

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I agree with @df2x4.

I have been told to never get cold air intakes, the factory air intakes are actually better. The open filter just brings in engine air, which you will then loose power.

So the K47 box is bigger? Mine does not look like that and mine was a Z71, did they change the style in 98 from 96? Saw a 96 today at the salvage yard and it looked just like one @df2x4 has, mine looks like this:

I thought Z71's got a bigger housing didn't they? Or was it just the filter?

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The EGR should only be opening during cruising and idle. It should not affect acceleration or power. But will increase fuel economy.
You are rite, but it coats the inside of the intake with carbon, just like it does with your exhaust pipe, and that is never a good thing. That will rob power as it will restrict air flow.