Air intake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can also do this. I did mine a long time ago, but I have the cover back on mine. This only help a little at WOT.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In regards to the last two videos...

Removing the resonator with the "VORTEC" writing on it won't hurt anything, but it will make the intake louder. Running with no air box lid will absolutely hurt your intake air temps and cost you power, though.

Personally I would strongly recommend against the throttle body blade mod in the first video. I did it to my red truck and the only thing I noticed was that my throttle pedal became more of an on/off switch and lost some of its linear response. I'm actually putting a factory blade with the diffuser intact back into the red truck when I put the factory K47 intake back on.

EDIT - Side note... The air box in the second video is the standard (non-K47) one, in case anyone is looking for visual comparison.

Another side note... Stick to factory style paper filters! Oiled gauze filters like K&N are not the greatest at actually filtering anything, and have a tendency to let their oil pass into the intake, which will foul up your MAF and throw codes.

Also I would not use any aftermarket filter that requires a hose clamp. The factory filters are slip on. Putting extra pressure on the thin plastic elbow there can crease it and potentially create a leak. I've seen a few salvage yard elbows with that telltale crease where the filter fits on. You can see it in the second video.

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Personally I would strongly recommend against the throttle body blade mod in the first video. I did it to my red truck and the only thing I noticed was that my throttle pedal became more of an on/off switch and lost some of its linear response. I'm actually putting a factory blade with the diffuser intact back into the red truck when I put the factory K47 intake back on.
I did mine a long time ago (several years) I love the mod. My truck has no hesitation what so ever any more on throttle response. Before I did the mod, my truck would stall for a split second before it would take off. Now it jumps to attention when you hit the gas. I can still take off slow if I need or want to, but for me, I love the mod. I do admit, that I have a lead foot, and don't like to go slow though. My truck is my daily driver. I admit that not every mod is for everyone. Like I said, for me I love the instant response that this mod gives.

Cheyenne

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not looking to make it louder, I think I have enough noise coming from my dual exhaust lol. But more peppy is just the best way i could describe it. I want that extra oomph for when I pass people or take off. I just put 285s with my 3.73 gears and it's just a little different now so I'm trying to compensate? I guess.

I'll look deeper into the throttle body mod. I heard you can get throttle body spacers? My friend put one on a 96 tahoe and he said it was good. Not sure about it though. As for my air filter, I think I'll definitely leave it the way it is.

I'm excited to do the mpfi injectors but a little intimidated to dig in there and rip apart my engine.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I heard you can get throttle body spacers?

Total waste of money on a Vortec engine.

If you've already got an aftermarket exhaust (did you re-do the Y-pipe and headers as well?) then I'd recommend a tune. Of all the things I've done to my red truck that made the biggest difference in power by a mile. Lots more fun to drive! Plus you could have them correct your speedometer for the bigger tires. Shoot an email to Black Bear Performance.

http://www.blackbearperformance.com/

$305 including the deposit for a spare PCM, best money you'll ever spend on your truck. Free adjustments to the tune for life, you just pay shipping. Word of warning if you have a 4L60E, leave the shift points and torque management alone. Otherwise you'll be looking into a 4L80E swap before you know it. 60Es don't like to be messed with in my experience.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Total waste of money on a Vortec engine.
X 2. I tried one on my truck, and it slowed the truck down. Headers yes, tune yes, E fan swap yes, EGR delete yes, Free flowing mufflers yes, a X pipe yes, Free flowing cats yes, and if you want to make a big difference, then cam and head swap. The more air-fuel, you can get into the engine, and exhaust you can get out of it, the more power it will make. Keep in mind though, your engine needs to be able to support the extra power, so a rebuild when doing a cam - head swap may be needed, depending on how big of a swap you go with. The last thing to do, is a custom tune.

Cheyenne

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you've already got an aftermarket exhaust (did you re-do the Y-pipe and headers as well?) then I'd recommend a tune.

I wasn't the one who got the exhaust done, previous owner was. It's a cat back, high flow cats, H pipe and comes out the back. I don't know the quality differences between Y, X or H pipes. I'll have to read into that.

Cheyenne

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
X 2. I tried one on my truck, and it slowed the truck down. Headers yes, tune yes, E fan swap yes, EGR delete yes, Free flowing mufflers yes, a X pipe yes, Free flowing cats yes, and if you want to make a big difference, then cam and head swap.

So scrap the throttle body spacer. EGR delete, I never thought of that.
I don't know what type of mufflers I have on. Im wondering if I can call the place it was done at and they will give me the info. Previous owner won't talk to me anymore. Lol

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The last thing to do, is a custom tune.

Unless of course the tuner offers free adjustments, which Black Bear does!

I wasn't the one who got the exhaust done, previous owner was. It's a cat back, high flow cats, H pipe and comes out the back. I don't know the quality differences between Y, X or H pipes. I'll have to read into that.

If you've got high flow cats then you're good. The issue is that the factory Y-pipes (which house the cats) are very small diameter with terrible restrictive bends. The only other thing I'd consider is upgrading headers if that hasn't been done.

EGR delete, I never thought of that.

Yet another thing that Black Bear Performance can help you with. They can deactivate the EGR in the computer, which is essential if you want to delete it with no ill effects.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Unless of course the tuner offers free adjustments, which Black Bear does!
I have no place close to me to do black bare, so its a mail off for me. Thats why I said, do everything before the tune. If this is a driver, you don't want to wait around while they have your ECM.