98 CHEVY K1500 5.7 VORTEC WON'T START!! THOUGHTS/INPUT PLEASE!! I HAVE A P1345 CODE, CRANK/CAM SENSORS MISMATCH.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MMartin401

Reaction score
There is actually a GM TSB for the crank sensor causing a plethora of problems, including no start and backfiring.
QUICK UPDATE RICHARD! TODAY, THE FOLLOWING WAS COMPLETED: FUEL PRESSURE WAS 60 - 65#, TOOK AIR INTAKE HOUSING OFF THROTTLE BODY, IT STARTED, BUT RAN VERY ROUGH! IT WOULDN'T START AFTER THAT! A FRIEND OF MINE WITH A PROFESSIONAL SCAN TOOL COULDN'T GET THE CAM SENSOR DEGREE READING TO SHOW UP ON HIS TOOL WHEN TRUCK WAS NOT RUNNING. HE FEELS IT'S A WORN DISTRIBUTOR THAT NEEDS THE GEAR RE-ORIENTED. IT HAS 220K MILES. TO BE MORE RELIABLE, I THINK REPLACING THE DISTRIBUTOR, UNLESS IT CAN BE REBUILT, IS THE BEST OPTION! LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK AND ANY DISTRIBUTORS YOU MIGHT HAVE USED! THANKS IN ADVANCE! ENJOY YOUR EVENING/WEEKEND!!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FUEL PRESSURE WAS 60 - 65#,
No need to shout.

If the gauge is correct, that should be entirely acceptable.

TOOK AIR INTAKE HOUSING OFF THROTTLE BODY, IT STARTED, BUT RAN VERY ROUGH! IT WOULDN'T START AFTER THAT! A FRIEND OF MINE WITH A PROFESSIONAL SCAN TOOL COULDN'T GET THE CAM SENSOR DEGREE READING TO SHOW UP ON HIS TOOL WHEN TRUCK WAS NOT RUNNING.
I don't know why you'd get a "degree reading" when the parts aren't turning. MAYBE you'd get some valid info when cranking. I've never tried. It MIGHT be that the computer doesn't recognize the cam sensor below a certain RPM.

Are the spark plugs fouled? Do you have spark that will jump the gap of a spark-tester calibrated for HEI?
www.amazon.com/dp/B003WZXAWK/?coliid=I3S98D7T1J0RLJ&colid=2VLYZKC3HBBDO&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

HE FEELS IT'S A WORN DISTRIBUTOR THAT NEEDS THE GEAR RE-ORIENTED.
Vortec engines have a long and sad history of wearing the distributor gear. Fortunately, the cam gear that drives the distributor gear seems reasonably robust--although it's worth taking a look at it when the distributor is out.

IT HAS 220K MILES. TO BE MORE RELIABLE, I THINK REPLACING THE DISTRIBUTOR, UNLESS IT CAN BE REBUILT, IS THE BEST OPTION! LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK AND ANY DISTRIBUTORS YOU MIGHT HAVE USED! THANKS IN ADVANCE! ENJOY YOUR EVENING/WEEKEND!!
The original Vortec distributor is plastic with some metal pieces. The housing is also commonly ruined due to a variety of issues--wiped bushings, broken distributor cap hold-down screw holes, etc.
Who knows? Maybe you have a failed cam sensor or cam sensor wire harness.

However, I would not be shocked if a new distributor fixed your vehicle.

Aftermarket Vortec distributors are infamous for having distributor gear problems resolved by removing the gear, turning half-a-rotation, and putting it back on.

MMartin401

Reaction score
No need to shout.

If the gauge is correct, that should be entirely acceptable.

I don't know why you'd get a "degree reading" when the parts aren't turning. MAYBE you'd get some valid info when cranking. I've never tried. It MIGHT be that the computer doesn't recognize the cam sensor below a certain RPM.

Are the spark plugs fouled? Do you have spark that will jump the gap of a spark-tester calibrated for HEI?
www.amazon.com/dp/B003WZXAWK/?coliid=I3S98D7T1J0RLJ&colid=2VLYZKC3HBBDO&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Vortec engines have a long and sad history of wearing the distributor gear. Fortunately, the cam gear that drives the distributor gear seems reasonably robust--although it's worth taking a look at it when the distributor is out.

The original Vortec distributor is plastic with some metal pieces. The housing is also commonly ruined due to a variety of issues--wiped bushings, broken distributor cap hold-down screw holes, etc.
Who knows? Maybe you have a failed cam sensor or cam sensor wire harness.

However, I would not be shocked if a new distributor fixed your vehicle.

Aftermarket Vortec distributors are infamous for having distributor gear problems resolved by removing the gear, turning half-a-rotation, and putting it back on.
THANKS SHURKEY, BUT NOT YELLING, :) IT'S JUST EASIER FOR MY OLD EYES TO READ, :-( THE GAUGE SHOULD BE ACCURATE! THE GUY THAT HELPED ME HAD ESSENTIALLY THE SAMEISSUES WITH HIS TRUCK AND TURNING THE DISTRIBUTOR LIKE YOU SAID FIXED HIS! THANKS ABOUT THE "MOTION" TO GET A READING, :) I'LL LOOK AT THE SPARK PLUGS AS YOU RECOMMENDED! I SEEM TO HAVE VERY GOOD SPARK BY AN IN-LINE TESTER WITH AN EXTENSION LEAD SO I CAN SEE IT WHILE CRANKING! THANKS FOR THE LINK, BUT MINE IS THE IN-LINE "LIGHT" STYLE! CAN THE CAM SENSOR BE PURCHASED BY ITSELF AND REPLACED FOR A FASTER TURNAROUND? ENJOYY YOUR EVENING/WEEKEND! BE SAFE!! WE ARE IN TOTAL AGREEMENT WITH CHINA, ETC.!! :)

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'LL LOOK AT THE SPARK PLUGS AS YOU RECOMMENDED! I SEEM TO HAVE VERY GOOD SPARK BY AN IN-LINE TESTER WITH AN EXTENSION LEAD SO I CAN SEE IT WHILE CRANKING! THANKS FOR THE LINK, BUT MINE IS THE IN-LINE "LIGHT" STYLE!
The one I suggest forces the spark to jump an actual gap, which is what you see.

IF the one you have is nothing but a light-bulb that glows, it's almost but not quite useless.

CAN THE CAM SENSOR BE PURCHASED BY ITSELF AND REPLACED FOR A FASTER TURNAROUND?
Yes.

It is probably still a good idea to inspect the distributor if you can't get the engine running by cleaning/replacing the spark plugs.

MMartin401

Reaction score
The one I suggest forces the spark to jump an actual gap, which is what you see.

IF the one you have is nothing but a light-bulb that glows, it's almost but not quite useless.

Yes.

It is probably still a good idea to inspect the distributor if you can't get the engine running by cleaning/replacing the spark plugs.
THANKS AGAIN SCHURKEY!! I REALLY APPRECIATE THE HELP! I USE NGK IRIDIUM IX BPR6EIX IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY ALONG WITH AN MSD BLASTER COIL!! ENJOY YOUR EVENING/WEEKEND!!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I USE NGK IRIDIUM IX BPR6EIX
A fouled plug of any brand or kind is still a fouled plug.

Worth the time to pull the plugs and look to see.

ALONG WITH AN MSD BLASTER COIL!!
Now I REALLY want you to try a proper spark tester calibrated for HEI. The Blaster II coil is high-failure Chinese crap, despite the MSD branding.

MMartin401

Reaction score
A fouled plug of any brand or kind is still a fouled plug.

Worth the time to pull the plugs and look to see.

Now I REALLY want you to try a proper spark tester calibrated for HEI. The Blaster II coil is high-failure Chinese crap, despite the MSD branding.
THANKS SHURKEY!! I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP!! I'LL BUY THE ONE YOU RECOMMENDED! ENJOY YOUR EVENING/WEEK!! BE SAFE!!

Simers

Reaction score
98 CHEVY K1500 5.7 VORTEC WON'T START!! THOUGHTS/INPUT PLEASE!! I HAVE A P1345 CODE, CRANK/CAM SENSORS MISMATCH. I WAS TOLD TO CHECK SPARK AS PART OF THE PRELIMINARY DIAGNOSIS.
My 98 Vortec did the same thing, turned out to be the oil pressure sensor, changed it out, and no problem since… just saying..