Air intake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cheyenne

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 98 Chevy k1500 5.7 vortec, I want to make it a little more peppy and I've been told to upgrade my air intake is a start. I do offroading but not heavy, it's my DD so I don't like breaking **** unnecessarily.

What kind of air intake should I go with that won't break my bank?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The 96+ Vortec intakes flow more than enough for these trucks, and already grab cool air from outside the engine compartment. You'd be much better off spending that money on exhaust components or a tune if you want any real improvements. I'm actually in the process of swapping back to a factory intake from a K&N FIPK on my red truck. (For a bunch of reasons) The only thing I'd look into is maybe grabbing a factory K47 (high capacity) air box from a salvage yard if you don't already have one in your truck. They take a slightly larger filter than the standard boxes. Straight swap, no other modifications necessary. The gas truck K47 boxes look like this.

You must be registered for see images

If you absolutely must have an aftermarket intake for looks or noise or whatever, get a Volant. They're the only brand on the market for these trucks that use a sealed box design which draws cool air from the factory hole in the fender. The rest (like K&N) are an open box design that pull hot air from inside the engine compartment.

Cheyenne

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 96+ Vortec intakes flow more than enough for these trucks, and already grab cool air from outside the engine compartment. You'd be much better off spending that money on exhaust components or a tune if you want any real improvements. I'm actually in the process of swapping back to a factory intake from a K&N FIPK on my red truck. (For a bunch of reasons) The only thing I'd look into is maybe grabbing a factory K47 (high capacity) air box from a salvage yard if you don't already have one in your truck. They take a slightly larger filter than the standard boxes. Straight swap, no other modifications necessary. The gas truck K47 boxes look like this.

If you absolutely must have an aftermarket intake for looks or noise or whatever, get a Volant. They're the only brand on the market for these trucks that use a sealed box design which draws cool air from the factory hole in the fender. The rest (like K&N) are an open box design that pull hot air from inside the engine compartment.

Ahh okay. I'm just getting into this stuff, so I'm learning. I'm pretty sure that's the box I have in my truck at the moment. It has a big cylinder type filter.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ahh okay. I'm just getting into this stuff, so I'm learning. I'm pretty sure that's the box I have in my truck at the moment. It has a big cylinder type filter.

Both factory boxes take the cylinder filters, one's just slightly bigger than the other. If your RPO sticker is still intact inside the glove box you can check there. If you have the K47 code, you have the high capacity air box.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I, too, just pulled off an Airaid “cold air” intake that the previous owner installed and replaced the factory box. In my case, the filter was just sitting near the intake hole in the fender with nothing to keep it from drawing hot air in from the rest of the engine bay.

I have two of these trucks (both 1998, 350) and compared the reported air intake temperature with the stock setup versus the cold air. The stock setup, drawing in outside air, was (if memory serves) something like 20-30 degrees cooler than the cold air intake.

To their credit, some intake companies sell a “box” that goes around the cone filter to bring air in through the existing fender hole. I couldn’t say how well they work.

After removing the intake, I noticed that my transmission definitely shifts smoother in cold weather. I’m not sure why. Other than that, there is no noticeable performance difference.

One thing that does make a difference is upgrading the fuel injectors to the multi port setup. It definitely improves throttle response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheyenne

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I, too, just pulled off an Airaid “cold air” intake that the previous owner installed and replaced the factory box. In my case, the filter was just sitting near the intake hole in the fender with nothing to keep it from drawing hot air in from the rest of the engine bay.

I have two of these trucks (both 1998, 350) and compared the air intake temperature with the stock setup versus the cold air. The stock setup, drawing in outside air, was up to 20 degrees cooler than the cold air intake.

To their credit, some intake companies sell a “box” that goes around the cone filter to bring air in through the existing fender hole. I couldn’t say how well they work.

After removing the intake, I notice that my transmission shifts smoother in cold weather. Other than that, there is no noticeable performance difference.

One thing that does make a difference is upgrading the fuel injectors to the multi port setup. It definitely improves throttle response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad I asked before I went and spent money on junk.
I will be switching my fuel injectors to the mpfi ones when I do my intake gasket.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here is a free mod that will give you a lot better throttle response. The video is on a 4.3L but it is the same for a 5.0L and a 5.7 L.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media